Air Force Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abilene

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any one in here who is working for the Air Force or know much about this job? Please share your inputs (advantages/disadvantages, etc.)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

what would you like to know? it's awesome

If I may be so bold to interject! :D

1) How much is the stipend? Do they give it to you over the summer as well?

2) If you're already in the Air Force, about how much is your pay including all of your allowances after taxes?

3) Are you allowed to put off serving for a year or two in order to do a residency?

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I may be so bold to interject! :D

1) How much is the stipend? Do they give it to you over the summer as well?

2) If you're already in the Air Force, about how much is your pay including all of your allowances after taxes?

3) Are you allowed to put off serving for a year or two in order to do a residency?

Thanks a bunch!

1) I dont know anything about the HPSC deal

2) take home pay is comprable to retail...figure around 60k

3) no...but you can do an AF residency after 3 years in San Antonio. If you decide to go Army or Navy, they both have awesome residencies as well and you can do it just starting off if you wish

Hey Caverject, these are some of the things I want to know...
As an Air Force pharmacist...
1. How often do you get relocated? Do you have any say in where you want to go? Can you bring your family with you?
2. How long is the contract?
3. How different is the work environment from one location to another?
4. Is there an additional training that you have to go through?
5. How about the hours?
Thanks...

Hey Caverject, these are some of the things I want to know...
As an Air Force pharmacist...
1. How often do you get relocated? Do you have any say in where you want to go? Can you bring your family with you?
2. How long is the contract?
3. How different is the work environment from one location to another?
4. Is there an additional training that you have to go through?
5. How about the hours?
Thanks...

this goes for all branches of the military

1) every 3-5 years...yes, you can choose not to take your next assignment and get out...yes as long as you're not going to south korea

2) 3-5 years

3) same as it is everywhere else in pharmacy...it all depends on who you work with

4) yes, you have to go to officer basic and medical systems training (about 14 weeks)

5) variable...typically days m-f but it can change depending where you are stationed at

Thanks for your input :)

yep...from that point on I was very afraid to post a thread...:scared:
but all thanks to this forum....cuz I was gonna go there...
good memory...it has been years...I don't even remember what i've learned today :p

1) I dont know anything about the HPSC deal

2) take home pay is comprable to retail...figure around 60k

3) no...but you can do an AF residency after 3 years in San Antonio. If you decide to go Army or Navy, they both have awesome residencies as well and you can do it just starting off if you wish

Caverject-
I am currently a P1 USC pharmacy student. I have been thinking about Air Force Pharmacy for the past couple of days now, and wonder if I can still get them to pay for my tuition in exchange for 4 years of service post-graduate. I would not want to re-locate though, and I live around the LA area. What do you think? Thank you for your input!

Caverject-
I would not want to re-locate though, and I live around the LA area. What do you think? Thank you for your input!

Military is not a career for you. There is an old cliche that says "Home is where they send you." You can go in and be a GS Pharmacist (private citizen federal pharmacist) but active duty is certainly not your calling. There is also a very good chance you maybe deployed to a combat zone during your active duty tenure. And yes, they DO deploy pharmacists to Iraq and Afghanistan from the Air Force, Navy, and Army. Hope this helps

Military is not a career for you. There is an old cliche that says "Home is where they send you." You can go in and be a GS Pharmacist (private citizen federal pharmacist) but active duty is certainly not your calling. There is also a very good chance you maybe deployed to a combat zone during your active duty tenure. And yes, they DO deploy pharmacists to Iraq and Afghanistan from the Air Force, Navy, and Army. Hope this helps

Thanks Caverject! I think I'll forget about the military as a career option. I really don't mind the work and commitment after graduation, just cannot bare leaving my home.

Thanks Caverject! I think I'll forget about the military as a career option. I really don't mind the work and commitment after graduation, just cannot bare leaving my home.

Perhaps you could try PHS. Same government benefits, rank, etc, less likely to be in a combat zone. Though you'd probably have to relocate still.

How do they choose who goes to Iraq and Afghanistan on active duty? Is it just luck of the draw or is there some kind of system? Just curious.

How do they choose who goes to Iraq and Afghanistan on active duty? Is it just luck of the draw or is there some kind of system? Just curious.

Just depends on what base your at and the commanding officers in Washington. So I guess luck of the draw would be a good way to describe it