air force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazybob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so one of my professors says that there's someone coming to talk to pharmacy students from the air force, and i was wondering if you know anyone who works with a PharmD in the air force. what do they do and is it worth looking into it? i'm not asking about the army or the navy. i've read a forum about pharmacists in the military in general, but it didn't say anything specific about the air force.

Members don't see this ad.

so one of my professors says that there's someone coming to talk to pharmacy students from the air force, and i was wondering if you know anyone who works with a PharmD in the air force. what do they do and is it worth looking into it? i'm not asking about the army or the navy. i've read a forum about pharmacists in the military in general, but it didn't say anything specific about the air force.

I would looking into the Air force is not worth it. The reason being is since they usually recruit enough pharmacists, they dont need to push incentives to fill their spots unlike the army which as 120k. Also, while they do recognize you as an officer, they dont recognize pharmacists as much as the army does.

what they do is the same exact thing in the Navy and the Army.

Here is a question you need to find out about. Ask them about Health Professional Scholarship Reimbursement. It is an awesome deal if you can get it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get it? Come again?

i think he meant "it is an awesome deal if they are willing to give you the Health Professional Scholarship Reimbursement."

i'm not sure whether or not you were being sarcastic or kidding or whatever

i think he meant "it is an awesome deal if they are willing to give you the Health Professional Scholarship Reimbursement."

HPSP is competitive...thats all I meant

HPSP is competitive...thats all I meant

Yeah I think they only give like 15 or so 2 year scholarships. Thankfully my AF HPSP recruiter is realllly good at winning them for her students. She says she got 7 for her region last year. Maybe that's another incentive for me to look into it...

Yeah I think they only give like 15 or so 2 year scholarships. Thankfully my AF HPSP recruiter is realllly good at winning them for her students. She says she got 7 for her region last year. Maybe that's another incentive for me to look into it...
Don't believe your recruiter about how good s/he is...95% of the time, they are full of crap.

Just because we are a military at war, does not mean you automatically get any military scholarship. As Caver said, HPSP is VERY competitive. Just because you apply does NOT, I say again, does NOT mean you will get it. You probably won't.

Don't believe your recruiter about how good s/he is...95% of the time, they are full of crap.

Normally I'd say that is true, but I talked with 4 upperclassmen (2 p4s, 2 p3s) that got the HPSP through said recruiter, and they concur that she's great at getting them for her applicants. Even not, two scholarships from each of the classes is pretty good.

I understand what ValueUC is saying. I realize how competitive it is...may have to start writing those essays now.

Normally I'd say that is true, but I talked with 4 upperclassmen (2 p4s, 2 p3s) that got the HPSP through said recruiter, and they concur that she's great at getting them for her applicants. Even not, two scholarships from each of the classes is pretty good.

I understand what ValueUC is saying. I realize how competitive it is...may have to start writing those essays now.
hence 95%...sometimes, the 5% of the time, the recruiter will tell you something true! Goodluck!

hence 95%...sometimes, the 5% of the time, the recruiter will tell you something true! Goodluck!

Haha thanks. I'm really interested and want to take my p1 year to think about it and do research. Are'nt you in the service? How are you liking it?

this is a great post and i see alot of good ppl are posting here, so hopefully someone here can answer my question if possible...
what is the difference between scholarship that air-force provides and navy provides? one of my friend got the air force scholarship and she's getting all of her school years paid and few thousands per month as salary but she doesn't have insurance...
and also i didnt want to bind my self with air force or navy or army for now but after 4th year i might be interested since they pay my loans off (this is what i heard) do you think this is a good idea??

thank you so much for your help guys
best regards
:)

this is a great post and i see alot of good ppl are posting here, so hopefully someone here can answer my question if possible...
what is the difference between scholarship that air-force provides and navy provides? one of my friend got the air force scholarship and she's getting all of her school years paid and few thousands per month as salary but she doesn't have insurance...
and also i didnt want to bind my self with air force or navy or army for now but after 4th year i might be interested since they pay my loans off (this is what i heard) do you think this is a good idea??

thank you so much for your help guys
best regards
:)

If you want to wait till your p4 year to decide you will probably want to look at the navy or army. Both offer great tuition reimbirsement unlike the Air force

If you want to wait till your p4 year to decide you will probably want to look at the navy or army. Both offer great tuition reimbirsement unlike the Air force

First of all thank you caverject for the reply, i also wanted to ask what are the minimum requirements for getting into the army or navy program? GPA? Physical endurance test and what not??
thank you again

Yeah, that's the thing, I was expecting that they just throw money at you if you join.

First of all thank you caverject for the reply, i also wanted to ask what are the minimum requirements for getting into the army or navy program? GPA? Physical endurance test and what not??
thank you again

The minimum requirements are to have a degree (just like any other pharmacist job) and to not be obese. You will eventually have to pass a PT test (physical endurance) but if you put your mind to it, you can pass it.

The minimum requirements are to have a degree (just like any other pharmacist job) and to not be obese. You will eventually have to pass a PT test (physical endurance) but if you put your mind to it, you can pass it.

Is that the way AMEDD approaches the APFT? Good god what am I getting myself into? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Would you be able to send me your recruiters email please? Ive been emailing mine on and off for two months and I haven't heard back from him yet.. Thanks!

If you have questions. 2 people in my class have that scholarship. You may already know them anyway

Would you be able to send me your recruiters email please? Ive been emailing mine on and off for two months and I haven't heard back from him yet.. Thanks!

I think recruiters cover a specific region, so maybe the best thing is to call the office ask specifically for the HPSP recruiter. I did that and was given contact info right away.

PHARMDhope2b, thanks and yea I was able to talk to a few people already about it.