hospitalDoc
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello
I am an internal med hospitalist. Been an attending for about 8 years. Interested in joining the air national guard reserves as a flight surgeon. I have no military experience. When I look at the Air Force reserve website it has internal med as an option but not flight surgeon. Will it be possible to sign up and go to flight surgeon school as a reservists or do you need to be a formed AD flight surgeon prior. I am 47yo and in good shape, I work out almost daily. I looked up the PT requirements for marines at my age bracket and can pass it easily (figured marines would have the hardest PT requirements). It is my understanding that 90 boots on ground every three years is what deployment looks like. Is this still correct? I understand needs of the Air Force but on average.
As for why I want to do this. Always been interested in serving. Parents pressured me into going to college vs enlisting. I thought about HPSP when I got into med school but decided against it due to a couple months of researching on this forum lol. Now Im pretty set in my career and I do get bored in my off weeks and would like to do something different. Basically anything that doesn't involve being in the hospital rounding on 80yrs with 20 diff medical problems. Being a primary care doc for healthy fit pilots / doing physicals is fine with me. If deployed would rather be out with my unit than in the hospital. There's an air NG base about 1.5hrs from me that fly the warthog so that would be pretty cool to be a flight surgeon with those guys.
I am an internal med hospitalist. Been an attending for about 8 years. Interested in joining the air national guard reserves as a flight surgeon. I have no military experience. When I look at the Air Force reserve website it has internal med as an option but not flight surgeon. Will it be possible to sign up and go to flight surgeon school as a reservists or do you need to be a formed AD flight surgeon prior. I am 47yo and in good shape, I work out almost daily. I looked up the PT requirements for marines at my age bracket and can pass it easily (figured marines would have the hardest PT requirements). It is my understanding that 90 boots on ground every three years is what deployment looks like. Is this still correct? I understand needs of the Air Force but on average.
As for why I want to do this. Always been interested in serving. Parents pressured me into going to college vs enlisting. I thought about HPSP when I got into med school but decided against it due to a couple months of researching on this forum lol. Now Im pretty set in my career and I do get bored in my off weeks and would like to do something different. Basically anything that doesn't involve being in the hospital rounding on 80yrs with 20 diff medical problems. Being a primary care doc for healthy fit pilots / doing physicals is fine with me. If deployed would rather be out with my unit than in the hospital. There's an air NG base about 1.5hrs from me that fly the warthog so that would be pretty cool to be a flight surgeon with those guys.