Akt-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BDylan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting CA-1 year in July, but I take the first Anesthesia Knowledge Test in March.

Firstly, my understanding from previous years is that the AKT-1 was taken in July after a week or so. Has it changed this year nationally or just where I'm from?

Secondly, on the recommendation of a couple CA-2's and 3's I'm going to read what I can of Baby Miller to prepare. I realize the exam doesn't "count" necessarily; but I imagine you can garner a little respect among the staff/upper levels if you smoke the sucker. So, have any of you done really well on the AKT-1 and if so, what did you study?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting CA-1 year in July, but I take the first Anesthesia Knowledge Test in March.

Firstly, my understanding from previous years is that the AKT-1 was taken in July after a week or so. Has it changed this year nationally or just where I'm from?

Secondly, on the recommendation of a couple CA-2's and 3's I'm going to read what I can of Baby Miller to prepare. I realize the exam doesn't "count" necessarily; but I imagine you can garner a little respect among the staff/upper levels if you smoke the sucker. So, have any of you done really well on the AKT-1 and if so, what did you study?

Nationwide, it is now in March.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I understand it, you take the AKT-X at X months after you start (whether on cycle or not), or whenever your program director feels like giving it to you. The testing company is some for-profit company that doesn't do licensing or certification and as such probably doesn't care about standardization so long as their fee is paid.

At my program, we all showed up and started on different days, ranging from July 1st to late August. We all took the AKTs on different days, and they sent them off as a group to be scored.

There's a vague content outline here: http://www.metricsinc.org/ihsgae.htm

As I understand it, you take the AKT-X at X months after you start (whether on cycle or not), or whenever your program director feels like giving it to you. The testing company is some for-profit company that doesn't do licensing or certification and as such probably doesn't care about standardization so long as their fee is paid.

At my program, we all showed up and started on different days, ranging from July 1st to late August. We all took the AKTs on different days, and they sent them off as a group to be scored.

There's a vague content outline here: http://www.metricsinc.org/ihsgae.htm

ok that makes sense. i just show up with a pencil when and where i'm told. :cool: