Albany (MD) vs AZCOM (DO)

Started by Sand&Stars
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sand&Stars

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For some, this might seem like an easy decision. All MD/DO bias aside I would like some help and guidance with which school will provide me with the best education, best test scores and thus the best opportunity for residencies.

If anyone has any other information or opinions on these schools or even MD vs DO I would appreciate it! Even adding to my pros and cons would help!

Albany
Pros
  • On site medical center
  • Laid back and flexible. Recorded lectured, flexible test taking times, students did not seemed stressed. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or means the students are not learning as much as they should be.
  • Organ system based curriculum

Cons
  • Perhaps it was just the day I interviewed on but it seemed like I didn't meet much faculty. They didn't seem overly involved


AZCOM
Pros
  • Learn OMM - While I don't anticipate it necessarily playing a huge part in my practice i thought it would be an interesting tool to learn.
  • very engaged faculty
  • nice, newly built facilities

Cons
  • Tests every Monday (may be a good thing, means students are forced to learn the curriculum)
  • Rotate at separate sites - less chances to shadow. I work well with others so not necessarily near my friends I would have met from the first 2 years to study/work with.
  • very large class sizes

Summary: All in all Albany seems more fun and laid back, a more comfortable environment and AZCOM seems more rigorous. However which one will offer me the best oppotunities for the best education, scores and residencies
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok I guess this really does come down to an obvious choice! I guess I heard so much that DO and MD are really not very different that I thought it extended to the schools being on par/comparable as well. But it sounds like between the posts and the poll its a no brainer
 
A lot of residency program directors, especially in competitive MD programs, won't take any DO students. You need to have significantly higher STEP scores than your MD peers as a DO student to be considered for many MD residencies. It's a huge disadvantage. Take the MD and run.