Albany vs Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustCallMeDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone list some of the positives and negatives they know about Albany Medical College and Penn State College of Medicine. I'm trying to decide between the two.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm kinda biased but...the pro's of Penn State is the humanities program, the lion care clinic (helping the underserved and homeless get medical care), the patient project (getting early patient contact in their homes), the great reputation in research (a lot of NIH funding), the PBL and curriculum, and the overall friendly atmosphere of the students and faculty members.

albany..it's one of the only 2 med schools on SDN that has a 2 out of 5 star overall rating on SDN interview feedbacks.

albany..it's one of the only 2 med schools on SDN that has a 2 out of 5 star overall rating on SDN interview feedbacks.

Both Penn State and Albany have a 3 out of 5 star overall rating on SDN interview feedbacks.

Though, I would probably still choose Penn State due to facilities, research opportunities, and location.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm kinda biased but...the pro's of Penn State is the humanities program, the lion care clinic (helping the underserved and homeless get medical care), the patient project (getting early patient contact in their homes), the great reputation in research (a lot of NIH funding), the PBL and curriculum, and the overall friendly atmosphere of the students and faculty members.

PBL? Gah.....

Research PBL before you commit to a med school that does it.

You would have access to all the awesome facilities of PSU? That would be a big plus for me. AMC is stand alone, which is admittedly a big draw back in my book.

You would have access to all the awesome facilities of PSU? That would be a big plus for me. AMC is stand alone, which is admittedly a big draw back in my book.

If you're talking about accessing the undergrad facilities . . . in theory, perhaps; however, the medical school and the undergrad are geographically separated by 100 miles.

When Hershey, PA gets a leg up on location over Albany there's some misconceptions out there

weather OK, crime I have no idea, but Albany has to have more to do than Hershey.

Dr. Richard Seltzer graduated from Albany. Read "Confessions of a Knife."

If you're talking about accessing the undergrad facilities . . . in theory, perhaps; however, the medical school and the undergrad are geographically separated by 100 miles.

Really? ok, I guess I'll take that back then.

Thanks for the input. Anyone have any more advice about the two schools?

The area around Albany definitely seemed much more interesting than Hershey, PA. But, how important is location in deciding between schools? There doesn't seem to be much to do at Penn State, but won't most of my time be spent studying anyways?

What do you think should be the biggest deciding factors in choosing a med school?

from what ive read and what ill probobly be deciding it will be price, school feel, type of learning, location and then prestige.
mathc lists can be vary according to individuls and prestige isnt even a big factor in residencies. i say go were its cheapest and were you feel like you can learn the most. and if you have some spare time will be able to enjoy yourself.

wait for the financial aid packages before u make a decision. i received a $8,000/yr scholarship from penn state today..i know thats not a lot, but it helps.