Penn State vs. Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Emperor Napoleon

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just as some background, I really like public health/policy and I am more interested in EM, ID, and Neurology, don't really see myself doing academic medicine or any of the traditionally competitive specialties. I'm originally from VA and I am very much planning on trying to come back to VA to practice. I'm kind of leaning more to Penn State but wanted some of y'alls perspective.

Creighton
Pros

  • I have friends and family here, some of them in medicine, so support system both personally and academically is strong.
  • Strong focus on community-centered care/service which I really like.
  • Omaha might offer slightly more to do in terms of fun stuff
Cons

  • HP/P/F system which is kind of annoying.
  • Research opportunities are likely more limited compared to Penn State
  • Far away from home which I'm a bit reticent about.
  • Becoming more wary about the whole Jesuit values thing.

Penn State
Pros
  • Lot closer to home, so family support is somewhat present.
  • Also focused on community-centered and rural based medicine which I'm interested in.
  • Lot more nature related hobbies to do which makes up for the small town location.
  • Better research opportunities compared to Creighton.
  • I feel like having a Level 1 trauma center to do rotations in would make me better prepared for EM.
  • Really interested in the EM 3+3 accelerated residency program.
  • Pretty close to much of the major cities on the East Coast.
  • P/F for clinical is pretty sweet.

Cons
  • Honors/High Pass/Pass/Low Pass/Fail for rotations is kind of annoying.
  • I feel like Hershey may get super boring after a while.
 
Seems like you have more cons for creighton and are more excited about penn state.

I personally would choose penn state but mostly because i think i'd be miserable in nebraska lol. The 3 year EM track seems like a sweet deal too, although only if youre okay locking yourself in PA for 6 years and are certain about EM. But saving a whole year of tuition is huge.

FWIW most programs do H/HP/P/F for rotations, when people are talking about P/F is usually just for preclinicals.