Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxrxrx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an email from Albany saying I will receive a decision letter by mid Feb. Does that mean there are no interviews or just that they will let me know if I got an interview by then? I heard some bad stuff about Albany from these posts so if people who got accepted have any feedback on that, it would be great

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. I got accepted into the transfer program. Albany does not have interviews. They just evaluate your transcripts and Pharmcas application (they don't require PCAT). I am not so sure about the 0-6 yr program. Hope this helps and good luck!:D

thanks ladybugs..when did you apply and were you from instate?...i saw on their website that they only take 75 transfer students and I'm from out of state so I'm trying to get an idea of if I will get in

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there. I got accepted into the transfer program. Albany does not have interviews. They just evaluate your transcripts and Pharmcas application (they don't require PCAT). I am not so sure about the 0-6 yr program. Hope this helps and good luck!:D
If you don't mind, could you post your stats?

thanks ladybugs..when did you apply and were you from instate?...i saw on their website that they only take 75 transfer students and I'm from out of state so I'm trying to get an idea of if I will get in

I applied in early August. When I applied, I was still a resident of CT. I, however, had just moved back to NY and changed the address on my Pharmcas, so now I believe I am considered a resident of NY :D

Not to discourage u or whateva, my boyfriend applied to this school adn they said though he was competitve, they had too many application and had to turn people down. He sent in his application Sep/oct and when he called in december they said he would hear back in March, but they sent him the rejection letter last thursday. he didnt even get anything from them during this period except for when he called.

I HATE THIS SCHOOL!!!!!!

they reject everyone!!! ppl should be warned to not apply here unless you totally aced the pcat with 3.5+ gpa....

they rejected me and cashed my check of 100 right the next day!!!!!!

I was accepted to ACP as a transfer student back in December and I mailed my check off sometime in November for the processing fee. I'm a California resident. I know absolutely NOTHING about this school. It seems a little shady that they don't require interviews, reference letters, or the PCAT, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. I also looked into Albany as a city and it looks like there's not much to do. Do any of you know anything about the quality of this program?

My friend/roommate graduated last may from albany. he went in as direct from high school student. Basically the city of albany is old and run down to put it nicely. The college he said is located near some other college programs like the law and medical school but otherwise it is in the ghetto part of town. From all of the posts I have read about this school, most people are fairly disgruntled by the way admissions acts when called. I have yet to hear one person state they were polite in the phone. If you are accepted and it is the school you consider, for your own sake go visit to get a grasp on the area. it has an airport and soutwest flies there so being from california you can probably catch a layover in phoenix. I am not trying to diss the college at all, just stating what I have heard first hand from applicants and a student.

I received the rejectionl letter back in January and I m so pissed..my science gpa is around 3.86 and 3.5 overall. Is it because my overall gpa that totally eliminate my chance to take part in this program?

i received a rejection letter too, today. i was a little bit discouraged becauise this is my first rejection and my science gpa was 3.83 and overall was 3.88. i just dont know what went wrong!!!!

Since you guys all seem discouraged about GPA in relation to being accepted here, I should point out that I graduated a while ago with a BS in a scientific discipline with a cumulative GPA of around 3.89. I received a contingent acceptance, which will be revoked if I don't receive a grade of B or better in my last 2 courses. It states in the letter that B- will not be acceptable. I was also surprised to learn that their courses start in May, so I have to finish these last 2 classes in accelerated courses! *gulp*
So, yeah, I guess they're pretty picky.

Since you guys all seem discouraged about GPA in relation to being accepted here, I should point out that I graduated a while ago with a BS in a scientific discipline with a cumulative GPA of around 3.89. I received a contingent acceptance, which will be revoked if I don't receive a grade of B or better in my last 2 courses. It states in the letter that B- will not be acceptable. I was also surprised to learn that their courses start in May, so I have to finish these last 2 classes in accelerated courses! *gulp*
So, yeah, I guess they're pretty picky.

I have the exact same cumulative PharmCAS GPA and I was offered the same contingent admission. I am Canadian too, to add to that. Maybe Albany has a special fondness towards the number 3.89 ;) .

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted a while baicatick and the lady I spoke with in admissions appeared to be quite considerate. Pharmhopeful, I might not consider them shady because they do base their decision on reference letters provided with the Pharmcas application. For those of you with high gpa and still did not get in, how was your personal statement? They might be looking for life experiences, health related experiences, strong and detailed pharmcas letters of reference etc. BTW the average GPA for the class last year was 3.7
Those who got accepted have a choice of talking to the current students i.e volunteer "student ambassadors."
Fmbzp5, thanks for sharing the info about the location, was your friend/roommate satisfied with the quality of education?

Good luck with your applications

I got accepted a while baicatick and the lady I spoke with in admissions appeared to be quite considerate. Pharmhopeful, I might not consider them shady because they do base their decision on reference letters provided with the Pharmcas application. For those of you with high gpa and still did not get in, how was your personal statement? They might be looking for life experiences, health related experiences, strong and detailed pharmcas letters of reference etc. BTW the average GPA for the class last year was 3.7
Those who got accepted have a choice of talking to the current students i.e volunteer "student ambassadors."
Fmbzp5, thanks for sharing the info about the location, was your friend/roommate satisfied with the quality of education?

Good luck with your applications

PharmPassion,
Thank you for the clarification! I think was confused by the PharmCAS information blurb on Albany because it said that they do not require reference letters. That probably means that they do not require reference letters beyond the ones you submit to PharmCAS. That makes me feel a little more at ease. :) It does sound like they put tremendous weight on GPA, though. Wow, this is a very selective school!

My friend/roommate graduated last may from albany. he went in as direct from high school student. Basically the city of albany is old and run down to put it nicely. The college he said is located near some other college programs like the law and medical school but otherwise it is in the ghetto part of town. quote]

your friend must not have spent a lot of time in albany. if the area the college is in is the ghetto...suffice it to say, there are WAY more ghetto areas in the city of albany

Im from straight in Albany, if you guys have any ?s jus p,m me

In my opinion the whole city is old and crappy but I am just telling you what he said. I would tell you how he felt about his education but he didn't like it there. PRobably because as he progressed he started to dislike pharmacy. He says it isn't what he expected. So that isn't exactly a good way to judge the school (he went right from high school)

Not to disappoint anyone but he also received a letter in the mail last week stating he could give a letter of recommendation as an alumni to an applicant if he knew any. He contacted them to find out more information and the admissions wrote him back stating they aren't even going to consider it because they have over 1500 applications for 60 spots and they aren't looking at anyone below a 3.9 out of 4.0 now.

I am not making this up. It was a real kick in the butt to see after him receiving the letter in mail.

omg my poor friend applied to ALBANY, and that is the only school she applied to...and she has a 3.6 gpa....and she still has hope...i feel soo bad for her now :( what should sshe doooooo

hi I got the acceptance letter from acp by the end of December but when I looked online I found that they accept 120 students and only enroll 75 student. I don’t really understand what that means, are they going to come back and say “oh sorry we accepted to many students than we should and you are not in” if any one know any thing about this please reply to my message.

NOT TRUE. I just got my acceptance letter today with a gpa below 3.9.

hi I got the acceptance letter from acp by the end of December but when I looked online I found that they accept 120 students and only enroll 75 student. I don’t really understand what that means, are they going to come back and say “oh sorry we accepted to many students than we should and you are not in” if any one know any thing about this please reply to my message.

That just means 45 students rejected the acceptance offer and went elsewhere for whatever particular year these stats are from.

I have not heard any good things about Albany, the city, the medical college, and the pharmacy college. The problem with APC is that they don't do interviews and don't require the PCAT. Thus, this leads to an overload of applicants for very few spots. Thus, the ADCOMS are forced to look at grades and grades alone. Thus, the people with very high GPAs are the ones accepted, because nothing else is looked at.

If your GPA isn't stellar (and I mean over 3.8) you have no chance of getting accepted into Albany. They look at nothing else.

So apply to a school that looks at the big picture, and let all the book worms go to Albany. (This is not meant to be an insult)

Anyone else receive a huge packet of forms from ACP today? Immunizations, waivers, apartment apps, etc. They haven't even cashed in my deposit....I guess they received my admission acceptance after all...

Anyone else receive a huge packet of forms from ACP today? Immunizations, waivers, apartment apps, etc. They haven't even cashed in my deposit....I guess they received my admission acceptance after all...

yes i have, but they cashed my deposit...... when did you get your acceptance letter!!!!!

Yeah :) I got the packet over the weekend. Time to get those shots updated! I wonder when we will get the financial aid packets.

yes i have, but they cashed my deposit...... when did you get your acceptance letter!!!!!

I want to say it was around December 11th. I mailed them the deposit info around December 27th...they gave me until January 3rd to get it in. I received a letter acknowledging my acceptance of the slot, but the money was never debited from my credit card account.... I'm confused, but I'm sure they'll take the money out....especially if I end up going to another school instead! haha

omg my poor friend applied to ALBANY, and that is the only school she applied to...and she has a 3.6 gpa....and she still has hope...i feel soo bad for her now :( what should sshe doooooo

Tell her to apply to other schools. The deadline for some of them is March 1st.

ACP does NOT require Letters of recommendation...

I received this email in response to an email i sent asking about deadlines...

"You may visit
PharmCAS for information about this years entering class. The Average GPA for applicants offered acceptance to the Accelerated Option was 3.8; applicants also had grades of ‘A’ in Organic Chemistry I & II. Admission is based solely on academics; ACP does not require the PCAT, or letters of recommendation."

Seems like if you didn't ace Ochem, your screwed. :cool:

i just got accepted yesterday from highschool into the 0-6 program yesterday. I am debating between mcphs, albany, and UOP (but i havent recieved news from UOP yet). GPA 3.7 SAT 1900 (2400)

Hi, If you get a scholorship could you please say how much?

i didnt recieve a penny from ACP.. i applied to the MCPHS 6 year program and got 8000 dollars annually for them, but since i live in California im still waiting for UOP's decision.. i applied to their pre-pharm program as well

I just got accepted into ACP too (0-6)-I don't think it is the college experience I'm really looking for, but I'm planning to check it out-anyone else see the campus yet?

you going for a tour, accepted students day??

I just go my financial aid package today and it was really bad. I got no federal grants and a very small amount in federal loans. I was wondering if everybody else got the same thing?

I just go my financial aid package today and it was really bad. I got no federal grants and a very small amount in federal loans. I was wondering if everybody else got the same thing?

I got the same package. Everybody else got any information about housing yet? Where will we stay this summer if the Holland will be open until fall?

Contact Michael Sass for info about free accomodation in the residence hall during the summer semester. You have to buy a meal plan though which can be used even after the summer semester. Good luck.

Michael A. Sass
Coordinator of Residence Life
Office of Student Services
Albany College of Pharmacy
106 New
Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY 12208-3492
Phone: (518) 694- 7367
Fax: (518) 694 - 7088

i got into and am going to acp in the fall for the 0-6 program. they gave me a decent amount of money