1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Albert Einstein vs. SUNY Stony Brook

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kochkine, Feb 15, 2007.

1. kochkine

7+ Year Member

Hi, I've read a few threads about comparing these two schools but still can't make up my mind. Which one would you guys choose?

I go to a public city college in NYC and don't NEED to desperately be in the city - with that said: stony brook is 70 mins away from manhatan whereas einstein is 45 mins away - not much of a difference.

Money isn't much of a factor. Not driving in Einstein eliminates some cost so thats fine.

Einstein has great internal medicine residency placement but stony brook seems to have better surgical residencies. I am aspiring to do residency in surgery - either cardiothoracic or plastics... not sure which - and residency placement is quite important for me. I want to get a residency spot in manhattan after med school and REALLY can't decide between the two schools.

Please help.

Thank you for any response and opinion in advance.

2. Doc Martins

Doc Martins Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I've been thinking about this comparison a lot lately too, although I'm still waiting to hear back from AECOM. AECOM has been my #1 choice throughout this process, but SUNY tuition is very enticing, and I really did like the school when I interviewed there. Interested in hearing what others think.

3. BadgerMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is kind of an odd question, but since you guys seem to know a lot more about AECOM and I'm trying to decide whether or not to go there... What would you say the breakdown was for where people are originally from? (I know the school website lists all the places people did their undergrads, but that doesnt necessarily mean they're from that area, you know? Anyways, I just kind of want to get a feel for the diversity of the students.... THANKS! :)

4. applyingsucks

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Save a bundle go to Stonybrook.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mila

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Not sure if this makes a difference for you, but Einstein is much closer to the city than Stony Brook. Einstein is only 12 miles away from midtown Manhattan and the commute isn't that bad, but Stony Brook is 60 miles away - during rush hour times it can take nearly 3 hours to get to Manhattan - not to mention even when there's no traffic, it's still such a long drive.

6. applyingsucks

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    OP, if you want plastics in manhattan you better get your ass into an IVY fast. There about 8 plastics spots in the NYC area.

Oh yea, dont forget that year of research, and >250 on the boards. Both standard for plastics.

You can always do general surgery and then a fellowship. You'll be slipping in implants by the time your 35.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Jejton

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Im also choosing between the two. AECOM has been my first choice but SB has two things going for it, for me:
    1.) tution is half that of AECOM
    2.) quality of life. I'm married with a baby and dont really cherish the idea of raising a child in the Bronx ( even a decent section ). I'm from Brooklyn so I am not naive about the Bronx but it still is an ugly place with few parks and such for children. LI might be boring for average, single, medical students but its great for families.

8. abeytt03

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey, I would totally go to Stony. It's a hell of alot cheaper, and its comprable in its academics and prestige. AECOM is in the Bronx, a terrible neighborhood. I would pick Stony.

9. OP
    OP
    kochkine

7+ Year Member

10. AnthonyNY

AnthonyNY "Ant, you're 'that guy'."
    2+ Year Member

bump.... in the same spot

11. CptCrunch

CptCrunch Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    FWIW, I was choosing between the two and ultimately picked Stony Brook primarily because of cost.

12. rpm

rpm Member
    5+ Year Member

For the new yorkers who applied to schools in ny, what are the rules for the number of years you have to live in ny to be considered a resident?

13. Old ortho

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Usually 1 year for SUNY's. Check with the schools to make sure.

14. CptCrunch

CptCrunch Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician