Algebra-based Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RX STAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When schools list Physics I and Physics II as a pre-req, are they referring to algebra-based series or calculus-based series? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

When schools list Physics I and Physics II as a pre-req, are they referring to algebra-based series or calculus-based series? Thank you!

I think they're referring to non-calculus based physics. I took the calculus based class with all the engineers because I'm an overachiever, but for the most part I don't think it matters. Unless they specify the calculus based physics, I would assume otherwise.

Hopefully they mean algebra based physics..I ended up taking calc based physics and found it to be utterly boring and mind numbing, possibly the only course I've ever taken in undergrad where I walked out of the class more confused then walking into it.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm pretty sure it can be either one, because different majors require different physics. It would be unfair to allow only one type of physics right?

Most schools that I applied to said 'Need not be calculus based'. Call the school just in case to clarify. I was signed up for physics with calculus and then read the description for the other class and it said 'Physics for dental, medical, and pharmacy majors' so it was a pain in the butt, but I got switched out.

It's either one. I personally took algebra- based first physics and calculus- based second, and I have to admit, use of calculus makes everything fall into places and certainly makes more sense. I don't like physics as is, but teh second one was easier on my emotional well- being : )

It depends on the school. The pharm school I applied specifically wants calc-based physics. It sucks because I already took 8 hours of physics in undergrad...ugh.