Mar 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
When schools list Physics I and Physics II as a pre-req, are they referring to algebra-based series or calculus-based series? Thank you!

aznsensazn3

Pharmacist
7+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2010
Chicago, IL
Status
Pharmacist
When schools list Physics I and Physics II as a pre-req, are they referring to algebra-based series or calculus-based series? Thank you!
I think they're referring to non-calculus based physics. I took the calculus based class with all the engineers because I'm an overachiever, but for the most part I don't think it matters. Unless they specify the calculus based physics, I would assume otherwise.

Filler

It's V
Apr 24, 2009
New Jersey/Philadelphia
Status
Hopefully they mean algebra based physics..I ended up taking calc based physics and found it to be utterly boring and mind numbing, possibly the only course I've ever taken in undergrad where I walked out of the class more confused then walking into it.

docss26

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2005
the city of wind
Status
Pharmacy Student
I'm pretty sure it can be either one, because different majors require different physics. It would be unfair to allow only one type of physics right?

pharm B

Phar Noir
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Out to Pasture
Status
Pharmacist
I would call your schools of choice and ask them specifically. Everyone above is right, it's more than likely just the algebra-based physics, but you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot with the one school that requires the calc-based physics (if one does).

Moni526

Pharm D. Student
5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Most schools that I applied to said 'Need not be calculus based'. Call the school just in case to clarify. I was signed up for physics with calculus and then read the description for the other class and it said 'Physics for dental, medical, and pharmacy majors' so it was a pain in the butt, but I got switched out.

PharmOl

I do Math.
Oct 5, 2009
Eastern North Carolina
Status
Pharmacy Student
It's either one. I personally took algebra- based first physics and calculus- based second, and I have to admit, use of calculus makes everything fall into places and certainly makes more sense. I don't like physics as is, but teh second one was easier on my emotional well- being : )

elevenphoenix

fresh grad dying for tips on NAPLEX. HELP :(.
Nov 21, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Status
Pharmacist
It depends on the school. The pharm school I applied specifically wants calc-based physics. It sucks because I already took 8 hours of physics in undergrad...ugh.