-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Alibaba (BABA) IPO
Started by k12balla
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
QofQuimica
Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
No and no. Though if I were a current employee and had any shares I could sell, I'd be selling 'em like mad.
Seems like those who got in for the ipo made a 30% profit in one day. Not bad...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seems like those who got in for the ipo made a 30% profit in one day. Not bad...
Only really gonna happen unless you have stupid crazy money(in terms of being able to get in), to the point where I doubt any attendings would be even close or you work for them or a subsidiary. But yeah, pretty good return
lol IPOs are anything but public. No one gets in at those prices.
I have my 401k with Fidelity and they were allowing people to get in on the IPO, but you had to have at least $500k in your account. My financial advisor tried to get some but said all of the shares went to institutions.
I have my 401k with Fidelity and they were allowing people to get in on the IPO, but you had to have at least $500k in your account. My financial advisor tried to get some but said all of the shares went to institutions.
I wonder how concrete the usage of "let" there is. 500k is chump change for IPOs, I'd think we're talking 10x+ that at the minimum just to actually get a shot at any
I wonder how concrete the usage of "let" there is. 500k is chump change for IPOs, I'd think we're talking 10x+ that at the minimum just to actually get a shot at any
Yeah, those are the minimum requirements. They say nothing of guaranteeing you will get any.
I tried the YHOO play and bought some calls but it didn't pay off for me. YHOO dropped just before expiration. I have some more calls expiring this Friday that are starting to recover, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I went in on the day of the IPO when my index fund went in.
Baba has so many risky things about it that I wouldn't touch individual shares. I'd even prefer if my mutual funds avoided it, but I don't make that decision. Before you buy, I would recommend that you do some reading on how the company got a U.S. IPO and what you are buying into.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/investor/2014/09/15/four-reasons-to-avoid-the-alibaba-ipo/
That link includes some of the pitfalls. While stocks all include risk, alibaba tops the list in my opinion.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/investor/2014/09/15/four-reasons-to-avoid-the-alibaba-ipo/
That link includes some of the pitfalls. While stocks all include risk, alibaba tops the list in my opinion.
None of the mutual funds or ETFs in my 401k have any shares. I was just hoping to get some in the IPO (or through the YHOO options) with some play money.
LOL.
Jon Stewart had a great segment. The IPO is not for AliBaba itself but for a holding company that owns AliBaba that is incorporated in the Caribbean. And because of Chinese securities laws, they did not list them\selves in the Chinese or Hong Kong exchanges, instead putting it on NYSE.
Like the WhiteCoatInvestor, I went in on IPO day as well an I didn't have to spend 1 penny. 😀
Jon Stewart had a great segment. The IPO is not for AliBaba itself but for a holding company that owns AliBaba that is incorporated in the Caribbean. And because of Chinese securities laws, they did not list them\selves in the Chinese or Hong Kong exchanges, instead putting it on NYSE.
Like the WhiteCoatInvestor, I went in on IPO day as well an I didn't have to spend 1 penny. 😀