1. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice

Alibaba (BABA) IPO

Discussion in 'Finance and Investment' started by k12balla, 09.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. k12balla

k12balla ASA Member 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    IPO is today, selling at $68/share. Anybody going in or know when it will be open to the public to buy shares?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting.... Lifetime Donor SDN Administrator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    PhD
    Verified
    Faculty
    No and no. Though if I were a current employee and had any shares I could sell, I'd be selling 'em like mad.

4. k12balla

k12balla ASA Member 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Seems like those who got in for the ipo made a 30% profit in one day. Not bad...

5. PL198

PL198 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Only really gonna happen unless you have stupid crazy money(in terms of being able to get in), to the point where I doubt any attendings would be even close or you work for them or a subsidiary. But yeah, pretty good return

6. DoctorKrieger

DoctorKrieger Exit Van Left 2+ Year Member

lol IPOs are anything but public. No one gets in at those prices.

PL198 likes this.
  7. Plectron

Plectron 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have my 401k with Fidelity and they were allowing people to get in on the IPO, but you had to have at least $500k in your account. My financial advisor tried to get some but said all of the shares went to institutions.

8. PL198

PL198 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wonder how concrete the usage of "let" there is. 500k is chump change for IPOs, I'd think we're talking 10x+ that at the minimum just to actually get a shot at any

9. Plectron

Plectron 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, those are the minimum requirements. They say nothing of guaranteeing you will get any.

10. mgdsh

mgdsh 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've gotten in pre-IPO for big IPOs like Visa, FB, etc. You have to have a strong relationship and a large account. Didn't ask for BABA, better option was to play YHOO in the weeks leading up to the BABA IPO

11. Plectron

Plectron 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I tried the YHOO play and bought some calls but it didn't pay off for me. YHOO dropped just before expiration. I have some more calls expiring this Friday that are starting to recover, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

12. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    SDN
    Partner
    I went in on the day of the IPO when my index fund went in.

Mapplicant and ThoracicGuy like this.
  13. TexasPhysician

TexasPhysician SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Baba has so many risky things about it that I wouldn't touch individual shares. I'd even prefer if my mutual funds avoided it, but I don't make that decision. Before you buy, I would recommend that you do some reading on how the company got a U.S. IPO and what you are buying into.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/investor/2014/09/15/four-reasons-to-avoid-the-alibaba-ipo/

That link includes some of the pitfalls. While stocks all include risk, alibaba tops the list in my opinion.

14. Plectron

Plectron 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    None of the mutual funds or ETFs in my 401k have any shares. I was just hoping to get some in the IPO (or through the YHOO options) with some play money.

15. Mapplicant

Mapplicant 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LOL.

Jon Stewart had a great segment. The IPO is not for AliBaba itself but for a holding company that owns AliBaba that is incorporated in the Caribbean. And because of Chinese securities laws, they did not list them\selves in the Chinese or Hong Kong exchanges, instead putting it on NYSE.

Like the WhiteCoatInvestor, I went in on IPO day as well an I didn't have to spend 1 penny. :D

About the ads