Alkenes, Alkynes, Aromatics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello678

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alkenes, alkynes, and aromatics aren't listed on the AAMC topic list for org. chem. Should I still study the reactions, nomenclature, physical properties, etc. for these compounds? Maybe those of you who have recently taken the MCAT can comment

Members don't see this ad.

Alkenes, alkynes, and aromatics aren't listed on the AAMC topic list for org. chem. Should I still study the reactions, nomenclature, physical properties, etc. for these compounds? Maybe those of you who have recently taken the MCAT can comment

Then why do we have EAS and elimination problems on the MCAT?! I'm pretty sure I did a TON of TPRH and EK problems that dealt with alkenes and aromatics for the past two weeks.

I believe it used to be on the MCAT, but it is no longer listed as an official MCAT topic. Just because you did a ton of those problems doesn't make those topics part of the MCAT. I was hoping someone who has recently taken the MCAT could validate that these are no longer tested on

Then why do we have EAS and elimination problems on the MCAT?! I'm pretty sure I did a TON of TPRH and EK problems that dealt with alkenes and aromatics for the past two weeks.

I did a search and there have been similar threads but I haven't found a concise, definitive answer. I would spend less time on it than other topics, but have a general understanding just in case. Taking it on 6/16 so i guess ill find out then

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea...I just don't want to spend my time studying something that wont be covered on the exam

Last edited:

It would seem that they could still use those compounds to ask about acidity, melting point, and so on. You should certainly know the impact of saturation on the melting point of a hydrocarbon or lipid. The absence of those functional groups is notably in the reactions of category.

You had EAS reactions of benzene on your actual MCAT? Although people can't post about their actual content anymore, back in the period when it was a little more lenient, I don't recall anyone mentioning any EAS reactions of benzene on their real MCAT from 2004 through 2010.

I did a search and there have been similar threads but I haven't found a concise, definitive answer. I would spend less time on it than other topics, but have a general understanding just in case. Taking it on 6/16 so i guess ill find out then

This question pops up like clockwork about three times a year. You probably found a couple threads that showed the link to the official AAMC release stating that reactions of alkenes, ethers, phenols, and benzene would no longer be tested. The reactions of ethers, phenols, alkenes, and benzene were removed from the MCAT way back in 2004. Reactions of alkyenes have NEVER been on the MCAT since 1991.

There is the possibility that 1,2 vs. 1,4 addition with a conjugated carbonyl is fair game. Diels Alder reactions (and other electrocyclic reactions involving pi-systems) would seem like a possibility as well.

But for straight alkene reactions that have no biochemical applications, it's an absolute waste of time to do questions. Hydration and hydrogenation are posible in biochemical pathways, so knowing those steps is a good idea. But if you're worried about hydroboration, oxymercuration, bromination, and so on, you're worrying about the wrong stuff.

You had EAS reactions of benzene on your actual MCAT? Although people can't post about their actual content anymore, back in the period when it was a little more lenient, I don't recall anyone mentioning any EAS reactions of benzene on their real MCAT from 2004 through 2010.

This question pops up like clockwork about three times a year. You probably found a couple threads that showed the link to the official AAMC release stating that reactions of alkenes, ethers, phenols, and benzene would no longer be tested. The reactions of ethers, phenols, alkenes, and benzene were removed from the MCAT way back in 2004. Reactions of alkyenes have NEVER been on the MCAT since 1991.

There is the possibility that 1,2 vs. 1,4 addition with a conjugated carbonyl is fair game. Diels Alder reactions (and other electrocyclic reactions involving pi-systems) would seem like a possibility as well.

I misspoke...I meant in my books, not on the MCAT. :)

I misspoke...I meant in my books, not on the MCAT. :)

That's the risk of using older books for MCAT studying. I know it's too late now, but your books would have served you better if they were 2007 or later versions. Pre-2004 materials have alkene and benzene reactions in them.

That's the risk of using older books for MCAT studying. I know it's too late now, but your books would have served you better if they were 2007 or later versions. Pre-2004 materials have alkene and benzene reactions in them.

Well, I just ordered new TBR Orgo books. The problems I had been doing were in a TPRH book and in EK. I have not had a single issue with TBR.

So if a book says "this isn't on the MCAT" or "this is all you need to know for the MCAT" in a know it all tone and then that same book has alkene and alkyne reactions in their questions, maybe I shouldn't believe their self proclaimed wisdom?

Are you studying for the MCAT or you are studying to know and also for the MCAT? Even if is no longer tested doesn't mean you shouldn't study it..Goodluck

Are you studying for the MCAT or you are studying to know and also for the MCAT? Even if is no longer tested doesn't mean you shouldn't study it..Goodluck

this is an mcat thread. why waste your time studying things that WONT be on the exam. AAMC isn't going to give you cookie points for knowing stuff that wont be on the exam.

this is an mcat thread. why waste your time studying things that WONT be on the exam. AAMC isn't going to give you cookie points for knowing stuff that wont be on the exam.

Refer to my post earlier. AAMC doesn't always follow their own guidelines on what is or isn't going to be on the MCAT, and posts from actual MCAT takers on SDN as well as people I know who took the MCAT in 2011 back that up.