Necessary Alkenes, Alkynes, Aromatics Content

Started by altitude
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

altitude

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I'm really pressed for time to finish my content review, will I be at any disadvantage if I skip any of the following Organic topics:

1. Alkene rxns: electrophilic addition reactions, regioselectivity (Markovnikov)

2. Alkyne rxns: reduction, addition of H2O, nucleophilic addition

3. Oxidative cleavage of alkenes

4. Criteria for aromatic compounds

5. Side-chain rxns of benzenes

6. Electrophilic aromatic substitution (EAS)

(I know that there are some older threads on this, but wanted to get perspective from recent and upcoming MCAT takers --> which topics from those above did you include or leave out in your studying?)
 
That's a clever way of asking, but they're not supposed to tell you what was on their test haha. BRteach's post awhile back emphasized that the alkyne/benzene stuff won't be on there. I would look at his post for the exact detail since I not all of the list might be excluded.
 
out of all the practice passages and tests I've done, I've yet to see anything about EAS. Which sucks because I knew that stuff pretty well back in orgo 2.

Of course I haven't taken the real thing yet 🙄
 
I completely omitted #2, 4, 5 and 6. Barely did anything for #3, simply knowing the products that will result from ozone cleavage will suffice.

Unfortunately, before I went through BR ochem, I reviewed these topics using my ochem textbook...but realized that they were clearly removed from the MCAT (since 2006 if I'm not mistaken).

Aromaticity def won't be tested. Neither will any alkyne reactions. It's possible there will be some alkene stuff, but more along the lines of acidity of hydrogens on alpha carbons, reactions at alpha carbons, conjugation, dienes, etc., rather than the exact reactions at alkenes being tested (i.e hydrohalogenation, hydration, halohydrin formation, hydroboration/oxidation, epoxide formation most likely won't be tested). But I'd say know the radical addition to alkenes, ie adding to least substituted carbon and the reasons behind this.
 
Thanks for the input so far.

@tttgo: I'm not asking recent MCAT takers if any of those topics appeared on their exams, I'm asking whether they studied those topics while preparation.