all 4 years together

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am too excited! I can tell that I will get no sleep tonight. Ahhh. :sleep:

Question, if you get one of those programs that offers the entire package with preliminary year but doesn't require you to take it and you had an offer for a prelim somewhere else that you would really like to take.... :confused:

So the question... how much does being at the same institution really matter? People talk about it being great because you know the system and the people but how long did it take you to get the hang of all that anyway? Couple weeks, couple months, all of intern year?

I would love to take the prelim offer from the other place but it would mean another move. Other than that pain-in-the-booty part, what are the disadvantages?

Input is appreciated. Besides, what else are all of us going to do tonight if not share angst on the forum? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

penguins said:
Other than that pain-in-the-booty part, what are the disadvantages?

From what I've been told, it takes that first month or so to feel completely acclimated to everything...I think the mechanics can be learned in a couple of weeks.

One of the advantages of staying at the same place for prelim is being in the trenches with interns from other specialties...You already know a lot of people by the time you start PGY2 neurology, and you know many of the residents who will be consulting you and who you'll be consulting over the next few years...

But of course it's always fun to intern in a new place you've always wanted to be in...

Thanks,
Anyone else have any thoughts? I have to make this decision by Friday afternoon. I guess it depends where I match since some programs make you take the whole package.