jackfibi

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
22
0
38
San Diego
Status
Pre-Medical
I am very interested in Tulanes post bac program but am unsure about the details posted on the aamc suggested web site. It looks as though their only masters program is very heavily genetics based. I am not interested in pursuing genetics and would like to take classes with med students. Does anyone know if Tulane has this sort of post bac program?
 

Phil Anthropist

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
5,131
4
Visit site
Status
Tulane has 3 1-year hard science MS programs that I know of (Genetics, Pharmacology, Cell and Molecular Biology) and one certificate program that allows you to take classes with their med students. The program is called the Anatomy Certification Program, if I remember correctly. It requires that you've been waitlisted at a US med school.
 
OP
J

jackfibi

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
22
0
38
San Diego
Status
Pre-Medical
Phil Anthropist said:
Tulane has 3 1-year hard science MS programs that I know of (Genetics, Pharmacology, Cell and Molecular Biology) and one certificate program that allows you to take classes with their med students. The program is called the Anatomy Certification Program, if I remember correctly. It requires that you've been waitlisted at a US med school.
Yeah about that. I contacted you before about what waitlisted means but I couldnt open up the reply. What is waitlisted? Also, do you know if this is a good program to go through-I like that its the most inexpensive-and could I apply and be accepted to other med schools besides Tulane?
 

Phil Anthropist

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
5,131
4
Visit site
Status
jackfibi said:
Yeah about that. I contacted you before about what waitlisted means but I couldnt open up the reply. What is waitlisted? Also, do you know if this is a good program to go through-I like that its the most inexpensive-and could I apply and be accepted to other med schools besides Tulane?
I don't know too much about this program because I've never applied to med school. Since I've never been on a waitlist, I haven't really looked into this program. But here's my response to your PM since you couldn't open up my PM. I hope you don't mind:
Phil Anthropist said:
jackfibi said:
Hey Phil. What do you mean wait listed at Tulane?
Hi there...I'm a little confused. But I think you're referring to my post here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=179769

Tulane has a one-year Anatomy Certification program in which you basically take a lot of the medical courses with Tulane's 1st year med students:
http://www.som.tulane.edu/departments/scb/acpinfo.html

To apply to the program you need to be waitlisted at an accredited US medical school (I don't know if getting waitlisted at an osteopathic school would count or not). So you don't have to be waitlisted at Tulane specifically, but you need to be waitlisted at an accredited US med school.

I'm assuming you know what waitlisted means. If not, it means that you're essentially put on an alternate list--you're not accepted, but you haven't been rejected yet. If spots open up and you're on a waitlist, you might get accepted. If not enough spots open up by the time the school year starts, you're out of luck.

Hope that helps!

Phil
Edit: Now that I'm looking at the site, it looks like it's only one semester (Fall) followed by an optional course in the Spring. It's not necessarily one year like I stated in my PM [ :oops: ]
 
OP
J

jackfibi

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
22
0
38
San Diego
Status
Pre-Medical
Phil Anthropist said:
I don't know too much about this program because I've never applied to med school. Since I've never been on a waitlist, I haven't really looked into this program. But here's my response to your PM since you couldn't open up my PM. I hope you don't mind:

Edit: Now that I'm looking at the site, it looks like it's only one semester (Fall) followed by an optional course in the Spring. It's not necessarily one year like I stated in my PM [ :oops: ]
Cool. That helps alot.