All aspiring IMGs applying this year!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i4eye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am non-US IMG applying for Ophthalmology this year. It's a daunting task, information is scarce,and statistics is pretty much depressing! So let us help ourselves guys. Let us discuss about the Ophthalmology match application for this year, particularly for problems pertinent to the IMGs. Anything regarding the match, like visa issues for the IMGs, PGY-1 positions, back up plans etc- let it be discussed here in one thread. I am working my butts off for the steps right now, but I'll try to be a regular here.I'll post and try to help whenver I can, that's a promise. Let's go guys, there's a lot to be done!

Members don't see this ad.

very nice idea :thumbup:, I am an IMG too and dreaming about ophtalmology ,
I am studing for my steps now , So I really liked your thread and I hope we can help each other by sharing any good inputs,
I wish that any matched IMG or any IMG opthalmologist post his experience here so we can learn from it :D

As I said, too busy with the steps now. Let us keep this thread alive anyway. Forget about help from matched IMG people, they won't. I knew one or two IMGs who did match beating all odds, but no help from there at all! All the more reason, because we have to help ourselves.Long,difficult road ahead, with stumbling blocks and painful detours at every turn of the road!Keep in touch. We'll make it. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know four IMG's that matched this year. They all came here years ago and have been doing research at a very well known eye institute. I have only met 1 IMG that got in without reseach in the US but he was already a trained ophthalmologist in his own country. If you come here and do research at a famous eye institute then you will have well-known US ophthalmologists backing you up. Just a suggestion.

I know of one IMG who matched without doing research in the US or previous ophtho training in another country - so just be good and you will succeed.

I know of one IMG who matched without doing research in the US or previous ophtho training in another country - so just be good and you will succeed.

WOW sounds coooooooooool :D ,,, in acadimic prog or community one ??

Im not sure what is the definition of community vs academic but it is a well known program - top 10-15 I would say.

Just do well on your steps! you need to realy impress them.

WOW sounds coooooooooool :D ,,, in acadimic prog or community one ??

"Academic vs community" does not apply to ophthalmology. They're all academic.

That story about matching in a top 10-15 program is not as simple as it may sound. I'm 100% sure there are hidden facts that you don't know.
In general, it's one of the most competitive specialties even for US grads, so as long as you're willing to spend years pursuing it, you'll succeed at the end but you should not rush.

Build your CV, get the highest scores you can in your USMLEs, do research, publish, present at national meetings, get strong letters from well-known people, have people make phone calls for you,... If you do all that, your chances will significantly increase.

Good luck

That's actually not true. There are non academic programs in Ophthalmology. The non-academic programs are ones not tied to a university. They are tied to a community hospital. Therefore Kellogg at the University of Michigan and Kresge Eye Institute at Wayne State are academic but Beaumont Hospital in Detroit is not. There are a few in New York, Michigan, and one in California. There might be others scattered but those are the only ones I can think of. Of note however is that it does not necessarily mean its not a good program if it is non-academic. I believe Beaumont has one of the best retina fellowships in the country.

I m an IMG from India. done my postgraduation. lot of surgical n clinical experience. just got a step1 score 241. no research/ publication. u think will stand a chance for getting into residency?

As you all probably know, a large number of programs have sent out interview invitations. Out of interest... how many IMGs out there have received any invitations? If there are any out there on this forum, that is...

Couldn't apply this year due to unexpected twists and turns in personal life! Still sorting those things out, quite upsetting!! But all the best to IMGs as well as AMGs! I'd love to hear some IMG got an interview!!

300 more views and counting... :confused: Is this a bad year for IMGs or what?

hey img two interviews recieved so far...did all clinicals in the us...rocked step1...step2 not so much was stressed with applying...strong lors from several opts i know....basically i'm hoping that these programs tell me do to research for a year or so to get in so there may be hope

hey img two interviews recieved so far...did all clinicals in the us...rocked step1...step2 not so much was stressed with applying...strong lors from several opts i know....basically i'm hoping that these programs tell me do to research for a year or so to get in so there may be hope
Congrats!! Do you need visa?

no no...i'm as american as apple pie just had a little too much fun in college

Any updates on IMG's getting interviews this year? Seems like it just gets tougher every year.

Any updates on IMG's getting interviews this year? Seems like it just gets tougher every year.
Yes! Unfortunately so!! I couldn't apply this year, but after seeing all this, I'm not sure if I want to waste my time and money on it next year!!:scared:

I go to a US med school, but I've met at least two IMGs and one DO applicant on the interview trail.

Hi all,
I'm also an IMG interested in opthhalmology, and I am doing research now.
Im new to SDN, and was wondering if anyone succeeded in matching recently - I notice the posts here are from 2009/2010 match.