All Australian Vet Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilin1590

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone offer any insight into some the Australian schools? I've been looking on the websites and they really don't have much info. Also does anyone attend U of Q? How is it and is it the same deal as the caribbean schools where you have to take the extra test to practice in the united states? I was really interested in pre-req's and such for these school but everything I've looked at doesn't really offer much insight I really didn't find the aavmc site very helpful for any aussie schools either. Some info would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Many of the Aussie schools are AVMA accredited, which means you are considered on equal footing as a graduate of an American school. The schools' websites would be a good place to start looking for info.

Hi, I'm a 4th year student at Murdoch. You can probably do a search on this forum and dig up a heap of info on any of the AVMA accredited aussie schools.

There are only 3 AVMA accredited uni's here in australia; Murdoch, Melbourne, and Syndey. That means if you graduate from one of them you take the NAVLE and any appropriate state boards and you are a vet. You don't graduate with a DVM typically (except melbourne) but you graduate with the equivalent and can still be referred to as "Dr." -- (Australian's tend to call their vets by their first names, especially coworker to coworker, but YMMV).

UQ is working on accreditation, but has not received it yet. From a student who transferred in last year and one who transferred into our school this year (both into my year) they have quite a way to go before they will get the accreditation (potentially sooner than any of the carib schools, but no one has a firm date). -- so yes it is the same deal as the carib schools at the moment with needing to take the extra exam ($$$, waiting period)

Murdoch requires one year of undergrad course study to get direct entry into their 5 year vet program. The prereqs are Biology (1 & 2 really, but you can prob get away with Bio 1), Statistics (with bio focus ideally), and Chemistry.

Your grades should be decent in those prereqs as well. Also Murdoch looks at letters of recc, letter of intent, your CV and animal/vet experience.

I think there are is someone from melb and sydney floating around who may chime in, I've got too much in my head at the moment to keep track of those unis :p Let me know if you have other questions, but in the mean time search around. Best key word to search for is actually probably 'Australia'

Members don't see this ad :)
North American students applying to Australian vet schools... what are the stats?

The University of Melbourne site is overly general. The only information I can find is that Canadian students need one semester of cell biology and biochem, and that you need at least a 3.0 to be competative.

North American students applying to Australian vet schools... what are the stats?

The University of Melbourne site is overly general. The only information I can find is that Canadian students need one semester of cell biology and biochem, and that you need at least a 3.0 to be competative.
Ugh, I know. I fell like all the schools websites outside of North America are vague. I've even emailed schools for more specific info and either have not heard back or get feed the same generic info I know...I NEED DETAILS! LOL!:laugh:

Hrmm, it's hard to say on the stats. When I applied to Murdoch I had a GPA in my business degree of 3.55. My other 'undergrad' courses had an overall of about 3.0 (with some really dismal grades early in my education--horrendous even)

For the prereqs for Murdoch I earned the following:
Bio 1 - A
Bio 2 - B+
Chem - B
Stats - C (math and I aren't friends)

I would say that a 3.0 is probably a decent target to be competitive, probably higher really needed for Massey and Melbourne.

Like every other school though it depends on the application cycle and I think the australian schools use a rolling system for that as well.

Hrmm, it's hard to say on the stats. When I applied to Murdoch I had a GPA in my business degree of 3.55. My other 'undergrad' courses had an overall of about 3.0 (with some really dismal grades early in my education--horrendous even)

For the prereqs for Murdoch I earned the following:
Bio 1 - A
Bio 2 - B+
Chem - B
Stats - C (math and I aren't friends)

I would say that a 3.0 is probably a decent target to be competitive, probably higher really needed for Massey and Melbourne.

Like every other school though it depends on the application cycle and I think the australian schools use a rolling system for that as well.
Is it Gen Chem 1 and 2 or also orgo and biochem?

Majority of my bios are Bs, stats is a B+, and I'm retaking chemistry. A lot of the other foreign schools seem more competative. For example, Edinburgh wants a minimum GPA of 3.4 and I read that if you don't get in the first time, you aren't going to get in a second time.

I think I'm competative enough to get into the Caribbean (but ~$12 000 a semester is scary!), kinda on the fence about getting into AVC next year... just wondering if it's worth applying to Murdoch... unless it's just as expensive as the caribbean... then I don't know. I'll do the conversions later.

What else would I need to apply? Do they they require any tests that aren't the GRE?

Once I'm done stressing over exams, I'll send them an email.

Edit to add: $39 950 AUD converts to $37 041... I'm assuming thats the cost for the entire program... which makes it $9 000 per year? If that's right, that's not bad... I kinda wanna go there now :p

Last edited:
Edit to add: $39 950 AUD converts to $37 041... I'm assuming thats the cost for the entire program... which makes it $9 000 per year? If that's right, that's not bad... I kinda wanna go there now :p

Murdoch is awesome. I love it. (I am a domestic student though. Not really sure what the internationals think!)

But I hate to tell you, thats the cost PER YEAR. Its a 5 year degree.

Murdoch is awesome. I love it. (I am a domestic student though. Not really sure what the internationals think!)

But I hate to tell you, thats the cost PER YEAR. Its a 5 year degree.

:eek:

Yup. My mind is changed.
I hate being broke :(

But isn't that roughly the same as what you'd pay to attend an american veterinary school? Or maybe just a bit more? Admittedly, you still have to cover housing etc...

I'm Canadian. AVC is $8 400 a year.
Caribbean is ~$22 000 a year and I wouldn't be able to afford that.
So $32 000 a year is really pushing it for me.

The chemistry I spoke of was Chem 1 and was taken about 7-8 years prior to my application/acceptance

I roughly spend about $50k USD/year to come here, I probably could get away with less by working more and living in a different house but I opted to at least enjoy myself while living in another country ;)

The Uni is very good and overall I do enjoy it a lot. It has it's issues at times, but nothing I wouldn't expect to encounter at any other school. And honestly people will find something to bitch about no matter what ;)

Heard a rumour today (supposedly pretty credible) that Murdoch may be switching to a DVM program. Don't know when or if that may actually happen however.

So I will have all my pre-req's done for murdoch this summer. Are they on a rolling admissions or do you apply the same time as North American schools?

I am at UQ, but I have no interest in working the US so accreditation doesn't bother me. The facilities we have now at Gatton are world class, I don't think other uni's in Australia can compare to some of the stuff we have now, it's mindblowing! (Ok, I may be a little biased, but I still gawk at some of the stuff we have now!) Some of the buildings haven't quite been completed (the equine hospital and small animal hospital will be completed around mid-year) but they certainly are amazing. And currently we already have up to standard equine clinics (Oakey) and Small Animal Hospital (St Lucia), they will soon just be more centralised.

I don't really have any doubt that we'll have accreditation now, but by now I mean however long it takes for the accrediation process, which I know is LONG. I'm pretty sure I won't get accreditation as I graduate next year, but as I said before I don't mind. The level of education is very much on par with other uni's in Australia, it was just our facilities dragging us down before.

The costs at UQ would pretty much be the same for other unis - just looked and it's $45100 per year AUD (which is pretty much equal to the USD at the moment), however accomodation at Gatton is awesomely cheap (it's rural after all!). So instead of 350-450/w for a 2 bed room unit in Brisbane, we can pay $200/w for a 3 bed room house! Also on-campus accommodation is half of what it is at the St Lucia campus ($7000 vs $14-17000 at St Lucia per year). I have for the first time at 26 began to live on-campus. Being about 10years older than everyone else there makes me feel old :(

Last edited:
So I will have all my pre-req's done for murdoch this summer. Are they on a rolling admissions or do you apply the same time as North American schools?

They have rolling admissions that started a new series this past January. I think the final round of applications is due at the end of september (possibly october)