All expenses paid: disaster relief mission Vanuatu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted6669

NYCMedics is a disaster relief NGO specializing in mobile medical teams (MMTs). We have an immediate need for volunteer physicians, nurses, physician assistants, and paramedics who can deploy to Vanuatu to work as part of an MMT delivering medical care to communities affected by Tropical Cyclone Pam. Details of the deployment include the following:

- Airfare and food will be paid for by NYCMedics
- Departure date: as early as April 4th, 2015
- 2-3 weeks committment
- NYCMedics, in partnership with AmeriCares, has been awarded a CERF grant through the UN flash appeal process, and the Vanuatu Ministry of Health has requested NYCMedics to continue operating its MMTs as part of this grant
- NYCMedics is registered with the Ministry of Health and volunteers will be given official temporary medical licenses to practice in Vanuatu
- MMTs will be providing emergency healthcare in the field, identifying acutely ill patients needing aeromedical evacuation, malnutrition screening and referral, and assist with a measles vaccination catchup campaign. MMTs will primarily be mobile, but may occasionally work in facilities.
- NYCMedics MMTs will be equipped by AmeriCares and local sources, and are fully self-sufficient during field placements

Please contact Phil Suarez (NYCM Operations Director, [email protected]) and/or Timothy Tan (NYCM Medical Director,
[email protected]) if your are interested in volunteering; include your CV and dates of availability.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds cool. I'll have to dream about making a difference for people that really need the help as I stay where I'm at for the time being navigating conversations with overweight noncompliant chronic pain sufferers about how I am hesitant to A) dose them up to a stupor with their favorite pain medicines, B) lift them using all my strength when they were somehow able to manage to get through all of their daily activities up to the moment they stepped into the facility (or walked up to the desk and requested a scooter like Walmart has), and C) make them my immediate focus and promptly retrieve everything they can possibly ask me for in lieu of taking care of another patient with legitimate urgent needs. All of that^^^^ seems to be my main contribution to humanity at this point in time. Oh, and yes... Continually saying things like "Please don't smoke right here in the ED or the facility bathrooms...I know you've have a rough day with your COPD exacerbation and all, but we have folks who don't need to be breathing that.... And we have oxygen that could ignite material."