PA school is too far and expensive, NP is better option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thehealer169

Reaction score
I’m 23 years old male and I’m looking to start working in the health care field as soon as possible. The PA schools are too far from me(45- 1hr 30 min drive) and cost more money to attend.

i should also mention one more thing. I use to be a nursing student but dropped out the first semester because honestly, I barely studied( partied too much every weekend).

I’m looking to start working ASAP and be in a career that has a high salary potential.

Members don't see this ad.

You don’t have to worry about driving 1hr 30 mins to PA school. Trust me, you’ll have to move to another state...

Reactions: 1 user
I think there are quicker ways to make good money, especially in this economy. Buy a franchise custodial company, or start your own business doing landscaping or painting. I’m not kidding. I’m an NP, but there are quicker ways I could have made more money. I put a lot of time, money, and sacrifice into becoming an NP, while I’ve had friends be able to do a lot less, and spend a lot more time with their families than I was able to before the big money came in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think there are quicker ways to make good money, especially in this economy. Buy a franchise custodial company, or start your own business doing landscaping or painting. I’m not kidding. I’m an NP, but there are quicker ways I could have made more money. I put a lot of time, money, and sacrifice into becoming an NP, while I’ve had friends be able to do a lot less, and spend a lot more time with their families than I was able to before the big money came in.
Yeah but those things that you mention requires risk, money, and time to learn the trade. I’m good at studying biology and I already have the prereqs for nursing school(IF I decide to go this route). But now NP schools are transitioning to the DNP program and that will take much longer. I’m open to any suggestions related to the medical field as biology is my strongest subject.

Yeah but those things that you mention requires risk, money, and time to learn the trade. I’m good at studying biology and I already have the prereqs for nursing school(IF I decide to go this route). But now NP schools are transitioning to the DNP program and that will take much longer. I’m open to any suggestions related to the medical field as biology is my strongest subject.
Go to a ADN community college program, work as a floor or ICU nurse, do your online BSN then apply to ANY NP program regionally or nationally accredited and you will almost have a 100% guarantee of getting in with the basic requirements (more so with the Capella, University of Phoenix, Walden schools) then do that online while working as an RN then you are done with your masters and start working as an NP making good money.

PA school will take a lot longer and you cannot work throughout the entire program due to the didactic portion and the 2,500 hours of clinical rotations (minimum) you must do. Good luck!

I’m 23 years old male and I’m looking to start working in the health care field as soon as possible. The PA schools are too far from me(45- 1hr 30 min drive) and cost more money to attend.

i should also mention one more thing. I use to be a nursing student but dropped out the first semester because honestly, I barely studied( partied too much every weekend).

I’m looking to start working ASAP and be in a career that has a high salary potential.

Well, from a fellow pre-health student (in his mid-30s), everything which is worth doing requires some degree of effort. It depends on what you are willing to put in. I didn't want to study either when I was your age. Now, all my friends are enjoying excellent careers, both financially and personally, and spouses. I am assuming there is a reason why you don't want to move, which for your privacy I will not ask. Be that as it may, the commonplace health careers which would take the least amount of effort (but I must stress, but still require work) include emergency medical technician , then you could become a paramedic (I will let those in this field comment, but I think paramedic requires you to go back to college). I must say, I personally know plenty of people who started out here, but few (or one to be precise) who stayed there - he works in a combination municipal fire/EMS department, where all uniformed personnel are trained in fire suppression and at the very least as an emergency medical technician, if not paramedic.

EMTs or paramedics are frequently hired in the ED or sometimes even physicians' private offices - I have even seen an oral and maxillofacial surgery office look for someone with EMT training.

PA or MD/DO school - be ready to get up and move, unless you are in a major metropolitan area with lots of them around. Be ready to move, as those are ultra-competitive to get into in the U.S.

There are other exciting careers, such as orthoptics, which has to do with strabismus and eye movement conditions and working in an ophthalmologist's (MD/DO) office, that I would consider if I lived up north (where all the orthoptics training programs are - I live in South Texas), as exposure to medicine before applying to MD/DO school. This requires a bachelor's degree for admission.

Orthopedic casting technician training is another which I consider to be exciting. Not knowing where you live, this may or may not be an option.

My last point is the first - everything requires effort, at least a minimum. Please devote yourself to your studies this time around, and don't be like me who was easily distracted in his university years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If biology is your strongest subject, go to med school. You are only 23, so you can invest 11 years in your career.

Reactions: 1 users