All The Do Bashing Taught Me One Thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ALL the DO bashing or those thinking MDs is superior to DOs and those who posted about it had the opposite effect on me. Before I knew little and did not know much about the DO field and thought it was something inferior to an MD because of everyone hearing from everyone who tells everyone, when they all know jack crap about medicine bad advice. But it was the bashing ignorant threads that enlightened me, DO=MD and opportunities are exactly the same. Lets not let our generation discriminate between the two like previous generations did. And I hope one day their will be one standarized exam for both titles since they are basically the same professions with the same credentials.
Take Care All.

Members don't see this ad.

not a bad post dr. phil

seriously though, i do agree with you

MD2b20004 said:
ALL the DO bashing or those thinking MDs is superior to DOs and those who posted about it had the opposite effect on me. Before I knew little and did not know much about the DO field and thought it was something inferior to an MD because of everyone hearing from everyone who tells everyone, when they all know jack crap about medicine bad advice. But it was the bashing ignorant threads that enlightened me, DO=MD and opportunities are exactly the same. Lets not let our generation discriminate between the two like previous generations did. And I hope one day their will be one standarized exam for both titles since they are basically the same professions with the same credentials.
Take Care All.

Its good you've taken a negative experience and turned it positive. Unfortunately, the AOA's insistence on differentiating the DO degree from the MD degree via OMM will preclude a unification of the two degrees anytime soon. Drop the OMM and the degrees are identical.

That said, any DO can take the full set of USMLE examinations, so for all intents and purposes there is a single standardized exam for both degrees.

Members don't see this ad :)
exmike said:
Its good you've taken a negative experience and turned it positive. Unfortunately, the AOA's insistence on differentiating the DO degree from the MD degree via OMM will preclude a unification of the two degrees anytime soon. Drop the OMM and the degrees are identical.

That said, any DO can take the full set of USMLE examinations, so for all intents and purposes there is a single standardized exam for both degrees.

Sorry, you seem to have misinterpreted the exams.

The USMLE will allow a DO to become a licensed physician. However, ONLY the COMLEX will allow a student to earn a DO degree. Perhaps you meant to use the words "physician licensure" instead of "degree."

OSUdoc08 said:
Sorry, you seem to have misinterpreted the exams.

The USMLE will allow a DO to become a licensed physician. However, ONLY the COMLEX will allow a student to earn a DO degree. Perhaps you meant to use the words "physician licensure" instead of "degree."
The USMLE doesn't allow a DO to become a licensed physician either, that licensure comes with the COMLEX if I'm not mistaken. The USMLE just allows the DO's that choose to take it a chance to match into an allo residency that requires it.

med-i-cal said:
The USMLE doesn't allow a DO to become a licensed physician either, that licensure comes with the COMLEX if I'm not mistaken. The USMLE just allows the DO's that choose to take it a chance to match into an allo residency that requires it.

You are mistaken. It is not imperative for a DO to take Step III of the COMLEX. You can take Step III of the USMLE and become licensed.

Completing all 3 steps of COMLEX will make you eligible for licensure in all 50 states.

Passing all 3 steps of USMLE, as a DO, w/o all 3 steps of COMLEX, will make you eligible in certain states, but you won't be eligible in others - most notably, those with seperate Board of Osteopathic Medicine. As an example, if you don't take and pass all 3 steps of COMLEX, you cannot get licensed in California or Pennsylvania, mainly because the regulations are written for NBOME exam, not NBME (USMLE), with the possible exception of FLEX (but that's old and isn't relevant to this discussion)
http://www.ombc.ca.gov/osteo_regs.htm
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/049/chapter25/subchapGtoc.html
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/049/chapter25/subchapAtoc.html

Virginia does not care if you take COMLEX or USMLE, as long as you finish one of them.
http://www.dhp.state.va.us/medicine/leg/Medicine2-8-06.doc

group_theory said:
Completing all 3 steps of COMLEX will make you eligible for licensure in all 50 states.

Passing all 3 steps of USMLE, as a DO, w/o all 3 steps of COMLEX, will make you eligible in certain states, but you won't be eligible in others - most notably, those with seperate Board of Osteopathic Medicine. As an example, if you don't take and pass all 3 steps of COMLEX, you cannot get licensed in California or Pennsylvania, mainly because the regulations are written for NBOME exam, not NBME (USMLE), with the possible exception of FLEX (but that's old and isn't relevant to this discussion)
http://www.ombc.ca.gov/osteo_regs.htm
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/049/chapter25/subchapGtoc.html
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/049/chapter25/subchapAtoc.html

Virginia does not care if you take COMLEX or USMLE, as long as you finish one of them.
http://www.dhp.state.va.us/medicine/leg/Medicine2-8-06.doc

I was only aware of 5 states that require AOA licensure, but adding California to that list would make 6.

OSUdoc08 said:
I was only aware of 5 states that require AOA licensure, but adding California to that list would make 6.
Wow, I just learned something new. I did not know of all this stuff if you take the Complex and not the USMLE or vice versa as a DO and how it can affect your practice. I think the Medical Association should be more proactive in making one standarized exam since DO=MD. All these rules, laws, and licensing issues seem to be a headache for no reason.

MD2b20004 said:
Wow, I just learned something new. I did not know of all this stuff if you take the Complex and not the USMLE or vice versa as a DO and how it can affect your practice. I think the Medical Association should be more proactive in making one standarized exam since DO=MD. All these rules, laws, and licensing issues seem to be a headache for no reason.

1. It's the COMLEX, not COMPLEX.

2. There are some differences between DO and MD, believe it or not.

3. The states that require the COMLEX for licensure aren't desireable to live in anyway, although it's not a big deal to take the stupid exam.

OSUdoc08 said:
3. The states that require the COMLEX for licensure aren't desireable to live in anyway, although it's not a big deal to take the stupid exam.

Yeah, but you don't know what circumstances may come.

Say you get married, your wife is from one of those 5 states, and then her parents get deathly ill, so you have to move there for some reason?? Its little things like that, that make me realize I will do my best to be licensed in all 50 states - despite the fact that, that is going to kill me inside.

OSUdoc08 said:
You are mistaken. It is not imperative for a DO to take Step III of the COMLEX. You can take Step III of the USMLE and become licensed.
Very good, I learned something new also.

OSUdoc08 said:

not desirable? For you maybe but not every post is about you. Look at the population distribution and the current residents of those 5 or 6 states might disagree with you. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:

OSUdoc08 said:

Thanks, i just learned another new thing, how to spell the COMLEX :rolleyes: You learn so much things from people like u :thumbdown:

Buckeye(OH) said:
Yeah, but you don't know what circumstances may come.

Say you get married, your wife is from one of those 5 states, and then her parents get deathly ill, so you have to move there for some reason??

This would require OSUdoc to have significant interaction with females, so it's a decent chance that he'll never have to move to one of the big 5.

Just kidding OSUdoc! :)

mshheaddoc said:
not desirable? For you maybe but not every post is about you. Look at the population distribution and the current residents of those 5 or 6 states might disagree with you. ;)

We are allowed to provide our opinions on here, just as you are allowed to disagree with said opinions.

Thanks.

Wow.. this post went from something positive to ... what it is now.

no wonder I don't post at these things any more.

OSUdoc08 said:
We are allowed to provide our opinions on here, just as you are allowed to disagree with said opinions.

Thanks.

OSUDoc just got OWNED!! :laugh:

docbill said:
Wow.. this post went from something positive to ... what it is now.

no wonder I don't post at these things any more.

And yet you posted anyways.

"All the DO bashing".....I have spoken to SOO many people in the medical field and I havn't come up against ALOT of DO bashing. In fact, the only person who ever bashed a DO to me was not even invovled in the medical field.

I was of the understanding that the "five states" have a requirement of completion of an AOA internship for your 1st year, or AOA approval of an ACGME first year in order to obtain licensure. This is separate from a state like CA, which may require COMLEX, but does not require the proverbial wink from the AOA signifying approval of your first year, so to speak.

So there are the five states, and then there is California, and whoever else that may be picky about which exams does what for them.

I feel like I did when there was that movement to make six Great Lakes instead of five. People in Michigan about lost their mind. I can't handle it if the traditional five states becomes six. Even though there isn't a cool mnemonic like "homes" to remember the names of the five.

Hmmmm....

Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, West Virginia, Oklahoma... FWOMP?

Doc Oc said:
I was of the understanding that the "five states" have a requirement of completion of an AOA internship for your 1st year, or AOA approval of an ACGME first year in order to obtain licensure. This is separate from a state like CA, which may require COMLEX, but does not require the proverbial wink from the AOA signifying approval of your first year, so to speak.

So there are the five states, and then there is California, and whoever else that may be picky about which exams does what for them.

I feel like I did when there was that movement to make six Great Lakes instead of five. People in Michigan about lost their mind. I can't handle it if the traditional five states becomes six. Even though there isn't a cool mnemonic like "homes" to remember the names of the five.

Hmmmm....

Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, West Virginia, Oklahoma... FWOMP?

hmmm FWOMP or FMOPW (F*kin Making Others People's life Worrysome.)