All these years without a paycheck?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I still feel strong about going to medical school, and thats okay. The thing that is worrisome a bit to me is:

Will I be able to get a part time job in UG that pays well enough and doesn't cut into my studies (school comes first and you need a high GPA for MS)?

Will I be able to get a part time job in MS? Will I just not have any income for four years?

It isn't that I don't think that I can make the commitment, because I'm pretty sure I can. Yes it is 8 years in school but that doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is not having...ANY income, whatsoever.

Is there a way to get a HIGH PAYING part time job in UG and MS? or will it cut too much into my studies?

Pharm techs get paid around 30k a year or so but I imagine that is full time...

Members don't see this ad.

Will I be able to get a part time job in UG that pays well enough and doesn't cut into my studies (school comes first and you need a high GPA for MS)?

Of course, silly! :p Practically everyone else on campus is going to be in the same position as you--most colleges offer work/study programs, where you work a part time job at the college. They're almost always extremely flexible about hours, as studying always comes first, and if you can only work 3 hours a week, well then okay. That's great. If you want to work off-campus, you'll probably have a lot more difficulty finding a job with those kind of hours, but the pay may be better.

I'm pretty sure that most people don't work during med school, because I've seen a lot of threads in pre-med where people ask when they should tell their bosses that they're quitting to go into med school.

Most medical students are too busy to have part-time jobs.

At many medical schools, work opportunities are available during the summer between years 1 and 2. I got paid during that time for essentially doing shadowing at a VA facility.

Members don't see this ad :)
sad thing is i read the post tile and knew who posted it b4 i saw XDDD

Man, that's some long-distance thinking. The farthest I can concentrate on is just getting into med school in the first place :D

Don't worry, most UG schools offer work/study programs as has been said before, and I'm sure MS is no different.

sad thing is i read the post tile and knew who posted it b4 i saw XDDD

Haha, I rolled my eyes when I read the topic.

Jeff: Yes, during UG you will be able to have a job. Your college of choice will have a center specifically dedicated to assist you in finding one of your liking. For medical school, you will most likely NOT have time for a job.

I still feel strong about going to medical school, and thats okay. The thing that is worrisome a bit to me is:

Will I be able to get a part time job in MS? Will I just not have any income for four years?

It isn't that I don't think that I can make the commitment, because I'm pretty sure I can. Yes it is 8 years in school but that doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is not having...ANY income, whatsoever.

Is there a way to get a HIGH PAYING part time job in UG and MS? or will it cut too much into my studies?

Pharm techs get paid around 30k a year or so but I imagine that is full time...

If you want a lot (to the rest of SDN...there is no such word as alot) of money, become a hedge fund manager. That is where you can make well over 100 million a year just being average at your job. Most of the top 400 money earners in 2007 were hedge fund managers.

If you want money, and I mean big money, work as an investor while also being a doctor.

If I understood what a hedge fund manager actually does I would look into it. But it confuses me.

If you want a lot (to the rest of SDN...there is no such word as alot) of money, become a hedge fund manager. That is where you can make well over 100 million a year just being average at your job. Most of the top 400 money earners in 2007 were hedge fund managers.

If you want money, and I mean big money, work as an investor while also being a doctor.

If I understood what a hedge fund manager actually does I would look into it. But it confuses me.

To answer your question, yes there are good paying jobs that you can work while in school. You should be able to find a job that pays 10 to 13 dollars an hour (maybe more) that you can work 10 to 20 hours a week.

I don't have any problem with a person wanting to make a crap load of money. Now that I graduated from college and I'm trying to pay for all of my bills and student loans, having a crap load of money sure would be nice. I'm sick of being poor myself.

So talk to people that you know are rich (and I mean a real rich person) and see how they do it. Learn from those that are already there.

The top income level for doctors in 2007 was a mere 2 million dollars.

Edit: cater to those with the money. I learned that there are some people who started a person airplane service for the richest of the rich. They charge them $25,000 a year just to be in the club...with over 200 members. That is 5 million a year.

I know of a person that started the job website Mediabistro (something like that) and the website became really popular and she ended up selling the website for 10 million dollars. When she sold the website, she wanted to talk to the richer people about what she could afford. It was at that point that she learned that there is now a middle class millionaire social class in our country. The most eye struck places to live can now only be afforded by the billionaires, not the millionaires.

Lots of people have jobs during undergrad. Usually not during med school except for the summer.

As far as work-study goes: if you have a car(and thus can work off-campus) I wouldn't work for the university. Maybe it's different elsewhere, but around here work-study programs pay about 66-75% of what the same job would elsewhere. Their main selling point seems to be that they're flexible with regards to hours, but you can find that at other places as well (especially ones that hire lots of college students).

Lots of people have jobs during undergrad. Usually not during med school except for the summer.

Agree with this. During med school most people do something paid during the summer between first and second year (usually research). Other than that, the majority don't work. You have very finite time that you don't have to be studying and most people use that time to recharge in other ways. The summer after second year is taking up by board studying, and most schools don't really have summer vacation between 3rd and 4th year.

A friend of mine was a licensed perfusionist prior to entering medical school. He would return to his job each summer.

A friend of mine was a licensed perfusionist prior to entering medical school. He would return to his job each summer.

Again (for the readers of this thread who are not yet med students), there is generally only one useful summer in med school. Second year summer is taken up by studying for Step 1, and most places don't have any sort of substantial summer after third year before fourth starts.

What is the fuss over having a job during the summer between medical school semesters? You get money to live off. If you can't afford to live off the money you got during the year, do some temp jobs at a nursing home or something.

It really depends on what you are capable of handling. If you have the opportunity to attend undergrad in your hometown, I would suggest you do so. It is a big help having your family's support. When I was in high school, I thought that I wanted to move away to attend school and support myself(this is a very common thought). I learned very quickly the difficulty of supporting yourself on your own at a young age. I encourage you to work hard and earn scholarships...and accept then when offered! I moved out of state and now work 40 hours/wk and attend class full time. It is very difficult at times dealing with bills for rent, car insurance, groceries, and other needs. If I had listened to others before I went to undergrad, I probably would have stayed at home and been able to devote more time to my studies without the added stress of a full time job.

Only if you have a very marketable talent. I knew a guy who did architectural drafting work during college, and he got paid $50/hr, but his drawing skills were amazing. Odds are that as a college student, you won't be making much more than $10/hr, and you're not going to have time to work as a med student. Just get used to the fact that medicine is not a fast-track to money. I don't know how many times you need to hear it.

I wouldn't count on having a part time job in medical school because there just aren't enough hours in the day to go to school, study, work and still have time for yourself so you don't become a zombie. To your second question, technically you won't. You also need to understand that graduate students are allowed to borrow loan money beyond the cost of tuition to cover living expenses. So if you want to look at it another way, going to medical school is your job and you get paid (albeit minimally) for it.

get some credibility in your studies then tutor privately.

i get paid $25 - 30 an hour teaching elem., middle, high school kids in everything from bio/chem/physics to essay writing.
at one point i was getting around 800 a month, although this was tough and i only did it for a month. after that i average at around 480 a month

but the thing is i went to a weird math/science high school that has a reputation in my state so getting hired was pretty easy.

i started at 20 dollars an hour and everytime i had to teach new kids it went up. last summer i got paid $60 for two hours + gas money.

be creative

but having money in UG when your parents are paying for tuition and rent has its down sides

i spent money carelessly and bought all this **** that i didnt need lol

I worked for Kaplan while in undergrad and made enough to live on without working too many hours. Look into working for any of the test prep companies (Kaplan, PR, etc) - my roommate also taught SAT classes (for PR), and both of us were well paid.

Also, look into places like Sylvan or other tutoring companies. I worked for Score! Educational centers as well.

Several doctors told me that demonstrating an ability to teach was impressive on applications, and my past teaching jobs were brought up in one of my interviews for Medical school - essentially you'll be killing two birds with one stone.