All things being equal, which specialty would you chose?

Started by nysegop
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a hypothetical. You get to chose any of the specialties.

-All get paid $175,000 per year.
-All work 60 hours per week, 10 hours per day for 6 days every week.
-You get 4 weeks of vacation.
-All require 4 years of residency. There is no such thing as fellowship in this scenario.
-All are of equal competitiveness and prestige.

Which would you choose?
 
Last edited:
Internal Medicine or Orthopedic Surgery. I like them both because you get to see a wide variety of cases and deal with a lot of different patients.
 
I would do Emergency Medicine or General Surgery. I really like the pace and emotions of the ER. General Surgery = Surgery with the most diverse and interesting cases IMO.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I heard General Surgery is mostly hernias and appendectomies now..... But again, I'm not very well informed haha!
 
I heard General Surgery is mostly hernias and appendectomies now..... But again, I'm not very well informed haha!

yah. true general surgery is a thing of the past.

as for me i'd do hospice. at least you can be done by noon every day!
 
I heard General Surgery is mostly hernias and appendectomies now..... But again, I'm not very well informed haha!

No worries. That's why it's good that you have plenty of time to go through med school and pick something -- even first-year medical students often change their minds once they experience the specialty they thought they liked. 👍

As for the OP, speaking as someone graduating in a couple weeks and who has the student loan statement to prove it, I'll happily abstain from playing and be glad that the reality of things is nothing like that. I suspect that for many of my classmates, if things were like the hypotheticals given, and if we knew that before starting med school, a sizable portion of the group would have avoided medical school entirely.
 
You're a Gen Surg right? What do you consider a "normal" day in terms of operations?

i just got off a block of gen surg.


Mondays were clinic days... they ran 7 am to 6 pm, with the end of the day usually containing office procedures (cyst drainage, etc)

the rest of the days were operative and ran as such:

0530 - pre round/snack
0700 - first surgery... scheduled cases were usually elective stuff. breast bx, lap chole,
hernia repair.

1300 - finish scheduled cases with rounding in between
1305 - Lunch

1330 - finish rounding
1530 - done for the day
*unless we were on call...in which case we hung around the ER until about 9 pm to pick up any emergent cases. these were usually appys and the like...those of us who lived close took home call after 9pm. those who were too far stayed in the call room...call was one day per week. one weekend per month...

maybe 3 times over the course of the block did something out of the ordinary come in. one was an assist for a neurosurgeon to install a v/p shunt. one whipple. one assist on a transplant case...

my vascular block was much more diverse.
 
Rhuematology...probably a specialty a lot of high schoolers haven't even heard of...but there is tons of opportunity to get involved in clinical research, you see the same patients for years and years, and every new case is like a little immune system mystery to figure out. Plus, it's an extremely small specialty (I think somewhere around 4,000 docs in the whole US) and there really is a pretty bad shortage. I personally had to wait over 3 months to get an appointment with the rhuematologist...and it's a very chill job. Nothing gross, nothing too stressful, you pretty much just order tests, interpret results and prescribe drugs all day. Sounds boring to some, but the job security would be pretty much as high as could possibly be achieved in any profession, and the stress level would be low. And office hours are M-F 9-5. No emergencies in arthritis or other rhuematic disorders, for the most part. Once you've done your IM residency, getting a fellowship spot would be like falling off a log...most spots never get filled...

Sadly though, all things are not equal and rhuematologists make half as much money as cardiologists for the same amount of training, just as one example...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rhuematology...probably a specialty a lot of high schoolers haven't even heard of...but there is tons of opportunity to get involved in clinical research, you see the same patients for years and years, and every new case is like a little immune system mystery to figure out. Plus, it's an extremely small specialty (I think somewhere around 4,000 docs in the whole US) and there really is a pretty bad shortage. I personally had to wait over 3 months to get an appointment with the rhuematologist...and it's a very chill job. Nothing gross, nothing too stressful, you pretty much just order tests, interpret results and prescribe drugs all day. Sounds boring to some, but the job security would be pretty much as high as could possibly be achieved in any profession, and the stress level would be low. And office hours are M-F 9-5. No emergencies in arthritis or other rhuematic disorders, for the most part. Once you've done your IM residency, getting a fellowship spot would be like falling off a log...most spots never get filled...

Sadly though, all things are not equal and rhuematologists make half as much money as cardiologists for the same amount of training, just as one example...

Everything boils down to money these days, eh?

I would do neurosurgery if it were 4 years! I scrubbed in with one at least 3 times and I shadowed him and I love his variety and the patients are always so grateful...
 
Rhuematology...probably a specialty a lot of high schoolers haven't even heard of...but there is tons of opportunity to get involved in clinical research, you see the same patients for years and years, and every new case is like a little immune system mystery to figure out. Plus, it's an extremely small specialty (I think somewhere around 4,000 docs in the whole US) and there really is a pretty bad shortage. I personally had to wait over 3 months to get an appointment with the rhuematologist...and it's a very chill job. Nothing gross, nothing too stressful, you pretty much just order tests, interpret results and prescribe drugs all day. Sounds boring to some, but the job security would be pretty much as high as could possibly be achieved in any profession, and the stress level would be low. And office hours are M-F 9-5. No emergencies in arthritis or other rhuematic disorders, for the most part. Once you've done your IM residency, getting a fellowship spot would be like falling off a log...most spots never get filled...

Sadly though, all things are not equal and rhuematologists make half as much money as cardiologists for the same amount of training, just as one example...

My mom has RA, and I definitely remember how bad it was several years ago when she tried to get an appointment. I would also think rheumatology would be a good specialty just because you're basically giving people their lives back. My mom could barely get out of bed most days at first, and now her RA is so controlled that she can pretty much do whatever she wants within reason. Also, I'm assuming there are probably even less pediatric rheumatologists in the US? I know of someone who is in a fellowship for that.
 
Everything boils down to money these days, eh?

I would do neurosurgery if it were 4 years! I scrubbed in with one at least 3 times and I shadowed him and I love his variety and the patients are always so grateful...

Grateful patients and families: Oncology.
 
Also, I'm assuming there are probably even less pediatric rheumatologists in the US? I know of someone who is in a fellowship for that.

In the state of Arizona (population approx. 7 million) there is currently two (2) fellowship trained and practicing pediatric rheumatologists. Not a joke. How hard do you think it is to get an appointment with those guys? 🙁 Means that kids just have to settle for the rheums who aren't as specially trained in their needs...

The thing with rheumatology is that if you have a rheumatic disease or other relate inflammatory/immune disorder of some sort, you're GP really isn't going to be able to provide the best care and advice to you. You need to see a specialist just as much as people with hormone issues definitely need to see an endocrinologist.
 
Last edited:
Btw, I think if every specialty paid around 175K I think there would be way more applicants applying to dentistry... No way on earth the majority of people would put themselves through a grueling 7+ year program to come out on the end making 175K. They would rather do 4 years and have no ceiling to what they can make... Am I right?
 
Btw, I think if every specialty paid around 175K I think there would be way more applicants applying to dentistry... No way on earth the majority of people would put themselves through a grueling 7+ year program to come out on the end making 175K. They would rather do 4 years and have no ceiling to what they can make... Am I right?

I did specify that all residencies are 4 years, so I think if my scenario were true, there would be only slightly more applicants to dental schools. I think most people would flock to specialties like plastic surgery which can easily be commercialized.
 
I did specify that all residencies are 4 years, so I think if my scenario were true, there would be only slightly more applicants to dental schools. I think most people would flock to specialties like plastic surgery which can easily be commercialized.

i think people would try to do the easiest thing possible. ROAD specialties would become even more competitive than they are now. and the rest would do primary care, and instead of seeing 40+ patients a day to rake in extra cash, would just see the bare minimum they possible could.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i think people would try to do the easiest thing possible. ROAD specialties would become even more competitive than they are now. and the rest would do primary care, and instead of seeing 40+ patients a day to rake in extra cash, would just see the bare minimum they possible could.

I don't know man. I think to a large extent people would do pretty much what they do now. If anything, more people would likely do primary care because the money differential between that and an IM specialty wouldn't exist.
I feel like there are such distinct personalities in medicine. I don't know too many surgeons who'd do derm cause it's easier, nor do I know too many people who are doing, say, EM and would switch to radiology because the hours are more stable. I think people would be super frustrated at all being paid the same despite the vast differences in hours and such, but for the most part I feel like many people would stick with what they love and what they're good at.
 
It would be sort of like socialized health care. 😡

Not really. I have family that lives in a country with socialized health care and if anything doctors see way more patients for a way shorter time than we do here. Patients aren't limited by insurance, so there are a lot of them going to the doctor, instead of staying at home and seeing if they get better on their own to save the copay money.
 
I would be shocked if anyone found anesthesia interesting prior to medical school (unless you have significant experience with it).

Well I do, haha.

Anesthesiologists do a lot more than just knocking people out. They do a lot with the management of intense pain care (yay morphine), airway management, and general surgery prep. I don't know. I like the idea that they work with surgeons and are right there throughout the surgery process but don't actually do the surgery themselves. I'm not sure surgery is something I want to do. But if I did do surgery, I'd rather do stuff with bones and muscles and joints (hence why I also put ortho), than on brains and intestines and hearts.
 
Well I do, haha.

Anesthesiologists do a lot more than just knocking people out. They do a lot with the management of intense pain care (yay morphine), airway management, and general surgery prep. I don't know. I like the idea that they work with surgeons and are right there throughout the surgery process but don't actually do the surgery themselves. I'm not sure surgery is something I want to do. But if I did do surgery, I'd rather do stuff with bones and muscles and joints (hence why I also put ortho), than on brains and intestines and hearts.

Matched into Anesthesia partner. 😎

My comment was not that anesthesia isn't great, it's just more difficult to get an idea of what it's actually like before medical school. For most people their only experience with anesthesia is shadowing a surgeon and seeing that person sitting at the head of the bed staring at monitors.
 
Emergency medicine. You see everything and everyone. After shadowing in an E.R. a lot, there's a lot of bad that comes along with it, like any specialty, but the rush of not knowing what will be coming through the door next is interesting. Or oncology, because that's just what I'm passionate about.
 
Emergency medicine. You see everything and everyone. After shadowing in an E.R. a lot, there's a lot of bad that comes along with it, like any specialty, but the rush of not knowing what will be coming through the door next is interesting. Or oncology, because that's just what I'm passionate about.

👍

Out of all of the places I've shadowed the E.R. has been the most interesting. Not including the poor people who come in because they have "huge zits".
 
You're pre-vet again?

I change my mind like I change clothes. I talked with a veterinarian (one I used to work for) and I told him about my situation. He basically said that If you really want something, you need to work hard to go get it. He said I need to put in the effort mentally before I do it physically.

I really took this into consideration because It was so true. I'll never be that smart kid who doesn't study or understands everything at first glance so I should stop comparing myself with others and work for me. Going back on the analogy I used before, you know with the loving your best friend thing, so yeah, it turns out that it's kind of okay to love someone for what they are as long what you know what you're getting yourself into. Plus animals are just too dang adorable. Medicine + animals = ultimate package. So I've decided to stick on the veterinary road and hope like heck I have what it takes. That's what makes it fun, right?

I promise you, that I'll won't change my mind again lol pinky swear. Hey, maybe one day when we are both doctors when can look back at all this and laugh about how much pressure we used put on ourselves lol.
 
I change my mind like I change clothes. I talked with a veterinarian (one I used to work for) and I told him about my situation. He basically said that If you really want something, you need to work hard to go get it. He said I need to put in the effort mentally before I do it physically.

I really took this into consideration because It was so true. I'll never be that smart kid who doesn't study or understands everything at first glance so I should stop comparing myself with others and work for me. Going back on the analogy I used before, you know with the loving your best friend thing, so yeah, it turns out that it's kind of okay to love someone for what they are as long what you know what you're getting yourself into. Plus animals are just too dang adorable. Medicine + animals = ultimate package. So I've decided to stick on the veterinary road and hope like heck I have what it takes. That's what makes it fun, right?

I promise you, that I'll won't change my mind again lol pinky swear. Hey, maybe one day when we are both doctors when can look back at all this and laugh about how much pressure we used put on ourselves lol.

Happens to the best of us. The most interesting people don't know what they'll do with their life when they're 30.
 
You definitely have to be a special kind of person to enjoy sitting at a microscope looking at slides for 40 hours a week. :eyebrow:

Um lol..... okay. I think those special people play a big role in a health care setting. It's pretty interesting. It made me consider veterinary pathology while interning when the doctor showed me some slides. Pretty cool stuff. I remember looking at some slides and then the doctor will give me a chart and help me classify what going on etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Um lol..... okay. I think those special people play a big role in a health care setting. It's pretty interesting. It made me consider veterinary pathology while interning when the doctor showed me some slides. Pretty cool stuff. I remember looking at some slides and then the doctor will give me a chart and help me classify what going on etc.

Not saying special as in "special", just saying that I would loose my mind in about a week if I looked at slides for a living. 😎
 
I change my mind like I change clothes. I talked with a veterinarian (one I used to work for) and I told him about my situation. He basically said that If you really want something, you need to work hard to go get it. He said I need to put in the effort mentally before I do it physically.

I really took this into consideration because It was so true. I'll never be that smart kid who doesn't study or understands everything at first glance so I should stop comparing myself with others and work for me. Going back on the analogy I used before, you know with the loving your best friend thing, so yeah, it turns out that it's kind of okay to love someone for what they are as long what you know what you're getting yourself into. Plus animals are just too dang adorable. Medicine + animals = ultimate package. So I've decided to stick on the veterinary road and hope like heck I have what it takes. That's what makes it fun, right?

I promise you, that I'll won't change my mind again lol pinky swear. Hey, maybe one day when we are both doctors when can look back at all this and laugh about how much pressure we used put on ourselves lol.

I try not to think about it too much... I just focus on schooling and fun things like listening to my music and playing sports recreationally... Because if one sees too far down the road, it is very very discouraging.

I find myself looking back and forth towards many careers because there is just a wealth of information previously unknown to such a young generation, that we just overwhelm ourselves.

Set a goal, stick with it. There may be reasons why or why not you want to do something, but NEVER, EVER be okay with complacency. If you want to be a vet, go for it. If you want to be a dentist, go for it. If you want to be a billionaire, go for it... But do something you LOVE. Not what gives you the best lifestyle and combination of salary or whatever...

Do things because you love it... Because then that is truly a waste of precious human life. Remember, no amount of money can buy you your passions.
 
Hmm..how many of you guys have actual experience in any medical field?
>High School section

@OP: Hm. After going through so much training schooling and training, perhaps something a bit easier than a surgeon: rheumatology.
 
I try not to think about it too much... I just focus on schooling and fun things like listening to my music and playing sports recreationally... Because if one sees too far down the road, it is very very discouraging.

I find myself looking back and forth towards many careers because there is just a wealth of information previously unknown to such a young generation, that we just overwhelm ourselves.

Set a goal, stick with it. There may be reasons why or why not you want to do something, but NEVER, EVER be okay with complacency. If you want to be a vet, go for it. If you want to be a dentist, go for it. If you want to be a billionaire, go for it... But do something you LOVE. Not what gives you the best lifestyle and combination of salary or whatever...

Do things because you love it... Because then that is truly a waste of precious human life. Remember, no amount of money can buy you your passions.

👍