PhD/PsyD All Things Neuropsych Training Related- externship, internship, post-doc, and beyond...

Started by MissSPSS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MissSPSS

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All,

I keep wanting a thread to discuss neuropsych post-docs and how everyone is doing. The post-doc thread is good but we know that our interview and matching process is a bit different. I want this to be open to questions about any neuropsych training topics, externship/internship, supervision--any questions not explored elsewhere. First question- how do those participating in the match feel about their lists and the whole process? Seems more competitive than internship to me, and at first I thought I'd match at my top 3 sites- now I'd be happy to be anywhere 😀 I think I'm leaving my list as is right now- no more changes 👍
 
And to provide my own answer to the first question--I wasn't nearly as anxious about the postdoc match as I was for internship. I enjoyed the interviews more, somehow landed a much better application-to-interview ratio, and appreciated that so much was able to get knocked out over INS. I also appreciated that I was truly at the final step of training, and would be focusing extensively on what I ultimately wanted/hoped to do after finishing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a very similar experience to AA. The post-doc process was almost enjoyable because it felt much more manageable compared to the match. I think the overall match % was similar to internship, but everyone I knew had been able to match to a site or take an outside offer...unlike internship where I saw quality applicants come up empty. The interviews were also more conversational and sites were much more interested in my goals and what I wanted to do with my career. I didn't feel like I had to sell myself nearly as much and the interviews were mostly short (5 at INS, 2 longer phone interviews prior to INS, and 2 longer non-match site phone interviews).

I went through the match process before they changed the notification process, so the only real pressure was deciding between taking an outside offer or roll the dice and hope I matched at one of my top 1-3 sites. I was pretty set on doing the match since I secured interviews at 7 of my top 8 sites, but then I had two very strong R1 non-match programs pursue me and one made an offer on the spot. It was somewhat surreal because those two programs were a pipe dream a year or two before, yet they both pushed for me. I took the bird in hand and it ended up being phenomenal training, though honestly I think any of the 9 places I interviewed would have offered excellent training and prepared me for a competitive faculty position.
 
Thanks for including that thread WisNeuro- very helpful. I agree with everyone for the most part. I got a lot of interviews for internship and post-doc, but that's probably based on me applying to more than 15 spots for both- a lot :shy: I applied to sites in and out of the match, and unfortunately, some sites wanted to meet on-site vs INS, which meant it wasn't all centralized for me. Ultimately- my rank list is only sites in the match, which I like. I did like the interviews more than internship, as I didn't have to pretend I was interested in intervention, but the speed-dating format was quite tiring at the end of the day. The uncertaintly of the algorithm match is getting to me though- I was more confident when I was getting a lot of interviews, now that my list is pared down I'm feeling nervous. 🤔
 
And to provide my own answer to the first question--I wasn't nearly as anxious about the postdoc match as I was for internship. I enjoyed the interviews more, somehow landed a much better application-to-interview ratio, and appreciated that so much was able to get knocked out over INS. I also appreciated that I was truly at the final step of training, and would be focusing extensively on what I ultimately wanted/hoped to do after finishing.

I totally agree.

Ultimately, I dropped out of the match and accepted a non-match position, because I had a few other priorities that I refused to compromise (mainly I was sick of being in a long-distance relationship and didn't want to leave everything to chance yet again). And I remain happy with my decision. 🙂
 
Thanks for including that thread WisNeuro- very helpful. I agree with everyone for the most part. I got a lot of interviews for internship and post-doc, but that's probably based on me applying to more than 15 spots for both- a lot :shy: I applied to sites in and out of the match, and unfortunately, some sites wanted to meet on-site vs INS, which meant it wasn't all centralized for me. Ultimately- my rank list is only sites in the match, which I like. I did like the interviews more than internship, as I didn't have to pretend I was interested in intervention, but the speed-dating format was quite tiring at the end of the day. The uncertaintly of the algorithm match is getting to me though- I was more confident when I was getting a lot of interviews, now that my list is pared down I'm feeling nervous. 🤔

I think anytime you take the ultimate decision-making out of the applicant's hands, it's going to be a little anxiety-provoking. But I definitely felt more confident about the neuro match than I did internship, which was nice.

I also had a few on-site rather than INS-based interviews (3 in all, if I'm remember correctly), although I actually enjoyed those quite a bit as well. I was actually taken out to lunch/dinner, and like you/WisNeuro/T4C mentioned (either here or elsewhere), I felt less like I was being grilled or having to sell myself to the sites, and more like they actually valued what I might bring and were attempting to sell themselves to me. An unusual feeling at the time, to be sure. I also appreciated that sites not interviewing at INS were very open to, or even only offered, phone interviews rather than requiring in-person visits.
 
The internship match was today- they released the stats which have greatly improved from the low of 2012. Guess things are getting better- especially in 2018 when only APA accredited program-students can participate. Anyway- my school had 100% match rate :happy:. Getting antsy about neuro match on Monday. I just want to know already :scared: I'll be happy with just matching- well Top 3 would be awesome :heckyeah:
 
Yay! I matched. so that anxiety is over--but was not to Top 3, my #4 which should have been #5 now I think about it- based on geography. So it's that bittersweet feeling. Kind of prefer the idea of going outside the match now. Juggling offers seems very stressful, but I could have had at least 1-2 days to really decide where I want to go vs decision made for you. Letting it sink in- happy overall :woot: