all this explanation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have yet to take the MCAT. From all I've read in this forum, it seems that if someone has one bad digit, it means re-take. If admissions commitees see all scores, isn't it foolish to take the test over just to try and improve a point or two? Is that just logic talking or is that what it takes to get in? Is that the barrier between interview and flat out rejection? I don't know. It seems like everyone is running scared.

Members don't see this ad.

if you should ever decide to retake the mcat to improve your score, make sure you score at least 3 points higher. reasoning: schools want a substantial improvement the second (or third...) time around since you're familiar with the test. all three sections of the mcat matter equally (in my opinion). it's the writing portion that isn't weighted highly.

Facts are facts...the average score per section somewhere btw an 8-9. 7 is below average for an MCAT test taker. Schools generally want a person that is at least in the middle of of the premed pack. Of course, this doesn't make it right but a certain amount of competence for science is needed to goto medical school since an A and C may be the same grasp for of scietific course work, depending where you went for undergrad. There are always exceptions and osteopathic schools are definitely lenient...but it seems that the difference btw 7 and 8 or 7 and 9 is pretty huge when you look at average MCAT scores for schools. Best of luck.

As far as substantial improvement...I agree...but sometimes one digit is the difference btw a school looking at your application thoroughly and not bothering...

[This message has been edited by njdevil (edited July 16, 1999).]

I would tend to agree with the previous response. I am a med student now and of course had strengths and weaknesses on the MCAT. I personally did fine on the sciences, 8 physical science and 10 biology. However I received a 7 on the Verbal Reasoning. I wouldve retaken the exam to more accurately show my ability on that section had I not scored a T on the essay section. My advice is threrefore, dont sweat the individual scores if you have other strong ones to compensate. Sweat the low ones and retake the test only if you feel you could improve all of your scores. One score can be important, but several individual scores carry more weight in a group than does one low score.