All those accepted to RUSH, UIC, LOYOLA, CMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlayaHata

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey future doc's
can those of you accepted to these chicago schools please give us your stats gpa's and mcat me and some friends would like to get an idea of where our stats stand. Thanks alot and CONGRATS on getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my advice. As long as they have done moderately well in undergrad, APPLY!!! At all of these schools, they have a huge spread of gpa's and mcat scores. I know someone at UIC that got in with a 3.9/41 and someone that got in with a 3.2/26. Rush accepted people with 6's as subscores. The application cycle is completely random and as long as the school isn't a top 25 school, almost any applicant has a decent shot of getting an interview and subsequent acceptance.

I got accepted to CMS with a 30R and a 3.7 GPA from UCSD. I think you can get in with a LOT less. I got interviews from Loyola and UIC, but I didn't go to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.6/32 from Northwestern Undergrad got in at Northwestern, Loyola, Rush, and UIC but axed at UC. i didnt have outstanding ec's, but i think i interviewed fairly well.
my advice is to apply to all and apply early! avoid CMS if you can.

3.66/27 (9,9,9) from Brandeis University, got into CMS (didn't apply to the others)

I got into Loyola based purely (I believe) on the volunteer work/community service that I had. One of the main missions of that school is to be socially involved and to give back to others and the greater world. This is becoming more important at most schools but is KEY at Loyola.

Question for Ludey: Why should CMS be avoided?

Accepted to Rush with a 3.80 and a 26 MCAT (7 9 10 Q). BTW: I got your PM, Roger Rabbit, but can't read it at work. I'll respond when I get home tonight.

accepted to uic-chicago

? 3.31 from UofC/AAA
? 12v/9p/9b (after taking it 2x)
? Year of volunteering in er at Children's Hosp.
? 1st author abstract + poster/conference
? poster/conference for neuroscience at uoc
? two years of research in fMRI lab/involved data anaylsis+working w/people

I'm also 29 and had a previous career. I interviewed in early Dec. accepted in April!!! Sent a letter of interest and another rec.

phew.

I applied to loyola, rush, cms and uoc (for sentimental reasons and sylvia robertson encouraged me to)
Got the big ol' no from all of them pre-interview.

The funny thing is that my frind who had slightly better gpa but worse mcat 28 (8/10/10) was rejected from uic pre-interview and accepted to rush in early dec. Go figure. So apply to them all.

I must say that I heard bad things about uic and so wanted to go to the other schools, but I have been VERY happy with them so far - it's a good thing too eh? :)

I just posted this in another thread:

CMS Average Stats for 2001-2002
GPA: 3.41 SGPA: 3.34
MCAT: VR: 9.08 PS: 10.13 WS:p BS: 10.36

got in at uic with a 5,9,9/3.65, impressive ec's that revolved around clinical work, a kick ass interview, excellent letters of rec and of course....divine intervention :)

divine intervention---
an absolute unquantifiable explanation sometimes.

that's awesome that you got in with that 23 on your mcat. a testament to uic that they look for much more than just numbers.

i'm applying there as well for 2003- in addition to rush, loyola, nwu, and u of c.
can't believe that it's the only school that's somewhat affordable in the chicago loc. i don't think i'd get into siu- as i think they focus on matriculating urms right?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by laviddee:
•i don't think i'd get into siu- as i think they focus on matriculating urms right?•••••nah, siu is focused on matriculating students that will practice rural medicine. but you should give it a shot if you can afford it, youll at least get interviewed if your numbers are good. good luck! :)

I applied to Loyola, UIC, Northwestern, and U of Chicago. I got into Loyola, UIC, and U of Chicago, but no interview at NU. Stats below.

Undergrad 3.8
Grad 3.88
MCAT 31 (11b, 9p, 11v)
Several years research exp in academic med center
A few publications (mostly abstracts and posters although a couple articles also)

I lived in Chicago for about two years and loved it there. I'm an Idaho resident, but really want to go back to med school there. I know their acceptance of out-of-staters at UIC, Loyala, and Rush isn't very high. Anyone know a little more about what these three schools think of out of state applicants?

Loyola takes like 65/120-130 from out of state, UIC takes like 30/300, Rush 20-30/300, cms like 70/140... BUT alot of these spots are reserved for URM... these schools even say that in their books I know UIC says it.... GOOD LUCK

In-state tuition for uic is about 9k per semester. The fin-aid book said that out-of-state students should expect to pay approx. 3 times that amount.

It's a lot of money to consider. If you really want to come to a chicago school, then moving here would really up your chances and reduce your debt load. at least for uic.

sorry Rush 20-30/120

Come on there has gotta be more than this... maybe add peoplethat you know please, just make sure you accurate ... Thanks ALot