All we'll be is numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhiana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think that the saddest part of this entire fiasco with AMCAS is that were all going to be reduced to numbers. If AMCAS is only sending out a one page app or releasing just our GPA/MCAT scores, what will the med schools have to judge us on. They'll pick the highest numerical applicants without knowing who in fact will make the best physician. Has any one thought of what a huge tragedy that is, not only for us the applicant but for our future patints. How many of us older applicants, URMs, economically disadvantaged students will be left by the wayside this year wondering what happened and where we went wrong.
I know that AMCAS will eventually get our essays out there (or we'll have to do it ourselves) but I've had to read job applications for professors and I know that there are only so many you can read in a day until you just don't give a damn anymore. How many of us are going to be in that position when all the essays are dumped on the med schools three months late.
I can't imagine that anyone involved in this process this year can possible feel good about it. The applicants are trying faithfully to believe what the med schools are saying, the med schools are trying faithfully to believe that AMCAS can still fix this, and AMCAS still faithfully believes that it has everything under control. At this point, the only thing I know is I'm going to be a number, and so are all of you. And this is no way to be choosing our future doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't agree more. I'm one of those that will be particularly hurt by the AMCAS fiasco. My GPA is B+ish and my MCAT 33T so I am definitely not a shoe in as far as numbers are concerned. I was counting on my essays, my long list of health related extra-curiculars/jobs, etc. to help me out substantially. All I can do now is pray. I am going to ask around in the days to come though and see if the schools I applied to will receive copies of my essays and any other info I would like the adcoms to review.

It also just occured to me that come Feb, March, April etc., the 57% percent of us that will only have rejection letters to show for all our hard work will be relegated to calling, emailing, etc. admissions offices asking them if they had a chance to adequately review one thing or another on our applications prior to sending out their rejections. I for one did not put in this much time, effort, and money to be put in such a humiliating situation. My last comment...It seems to me that the Justice Department has been misinformed that Microsoft is the most guilty company in America of abusing monopoly priveledges. Someone needs tell them about AMCAS.