Alleg General and UPMC-West Psych schedules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Wondering what the schedules are like at Western Psych and Allegheny General? Start/stop time, call, and flexibility? Also, if anyone knows if they're family friendly. Interested in Child Psych in particular if that affects things...

I have a son with psychiatric problems so I need to avoid residencies that are unforgiving. The future is unpredictable when you're raising a kid with bipolar.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Wondering what the schedules are like at Western Psych and Allegheny General? Start/stop time, call, and flexibility? Also, if anyone knows if they're family friendly. Interested in Child Psych in particular if that affects things...

I have a son with psychiatric problems so I need to avoid residencies that are unforgiving. The future is unpredictable when you're raising a kid with bipolar.

Don't know details of the schedule, but I would expect Western psych to be harder almost all around. It is an outstanding program. The plus side is that you would get to know doctors who can help your son -- sorry -- and they might do you some favors or refer you to the right person for treatment.

That said, I would imagine it would still be harder with a less forgiving schedule.

Just my impression.

Don't know details of the schedule, but I would expect Western psych to be harder almost all around. It is an outstanding program. The plus side is that you would get to know doctors who can help your son -- sorry -- and they might do you some favors or refer you to the right person for treatment.

That said, I would imagine it would still be harder with a less forgiving schedule.

Just my impression.

I wonder if Allegheny mightn't be better for you from that perspective, while still keeping you in the community where your son could have access to the top-notch resources of WPIC--without the awkwardness of having your kid being treated by one of your supervising attendings.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we're family friendly and flexible at AGH, but we still have schedules and expectations. I'm sure WPIC would say the same for itself. My recommendation (for what it's worth) is to talk with the program directors at both places and discuss your vision and needs for balancing your training and your family life. See what they might suggest or be able to do, and see if you can also talk with the residents (or recent graduates) to find out how their opinions. Some may have similar experiences or concerns and be able to tell you how they manage in their program. That should give you enough insight to make the best decision for you and your family when the time comes.

I agree that AGH is family friendly and flexible. I don't have kids and am no longer a resident, but would be happy to provide whatever info I can. :)

Sunlioness, AGH '08