"Alleged" USC child molester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiki Tiki Tembo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you guys hear about the College of Medicine faculty member (head of the school's Gene therapy laboratories) who is being charged with child molestation? His first day in court was today! Yikes! Thank God he wasn't head of the pediatrics department! :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

USC Scientist Arrested On Molestation Charges

W.F. Anderson Is A Gene Therapy Pioneer

Jul 30, 2004 8:21 pm US/Central
LOS ANGELES (AP) Gene therapy pioneer Dr. William French Anderson was arrested Friday on charges of sexually molesting a girl over a four-year period, authorities said.

Anderson, 67, an internationally prominent University of Southern California scientist, was arrested about 8:30 a.m. at his San Marino home one day after prosecutors filed a criminal complaint alleging six felony counts of assault, said Sandi Gibbons, spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County district attorney's office.

Anderson, who was the girl's karate coach, abused her at his home from 1997 to 2001, authorities said.

He was jailed in lieu of $6 million bail. His arraignment was set for Tuesday in Pasadena Superior Court.

Anderson, director of the university's Gene Therapy Laboratories at the Keck School of Medicine, was placed on administrative leave Friday, USC said in a statement.

Anderson led a team the performed the first approved human gene therapy trial in 1990. A 4-year-old girl, Ashanthi DeSilva, who suffered from a disease that left her vulnerable to infection, was given white blood cells altered to include a copy of the gene that makes adenosine deaminase or ADA, the enzyme she lacked. The girl continues to do well but it is unclear whether that is due to the therapy because she also received injections of synthetic ADA.

Overall, gene therapy has had mixed results, with few clear-cut cases of success.

The six felony counts against Anderson include one count of continuous sexual abuse against a person under 14 and five counts for lewd acts with a child, Gibbons said.

If convicted on all counts, Anderson could receive up to 56 years in state prison, Gibbons said.

Authorities said the girl, now 17, was about 10 when the alleged abuse started.

Los Angeles County sheriff's detectives served search warrants Friday at Anderson's home in suburban San Marino and at his office, where authorities confiscated computers, according to USC.

San Marino police began investigating Anderson and turned over the case to county sheriff's detectives, Gibbons said.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes, they just sent me a secondary as I read this post, what a coincidence.

Pinkertinkle said:
Yikes, they just sent me a secondary as I read this post, what a coincidence.
*Nah, I won't say it, it might offend some people *

Ewwwwww.... and the guy was 67 too.... *searches in vain for a "disgust" smiley*

IF you guys read the article, you'll note that it's testimony from ONE person, from four years ago. For all we know the girl could be emotionally disturbed, maybe seeking attention, revenge, etc.

TTSD said:
IF you guys read the article, you'll note that it's testimony from ONE person, from four years ago. For all we know the girl could be emotionally disturbed, maybe seeking attention, revenge, etc.

You would defend a child molester. Just look at your ******ed posts... not to mention your signature, location, etc.

No fat or ugly chicks, please. FREE PELVIC EXAMS!

Man-*****

Up the Rectum

I'd say you either have no self-esteem or you define your self-worth by the sex you're getting - or in this case - the lack thereof.

Tiki Tiki Tembo said:
You would defend a child molester. Just look at your ******ed posts... not to mention your signature, location, etc.

I'd say you either have no self-esteem or you define your self-worth by the sex you're getting - or in this case - the lack thereof.

TTSD has a valid point... What if someone were to accuse you of being a molester? Would that automatically make you one? If you were innocent, you would demand that people with hold judgement until the trial ended.

Tiki, you're jumping to conclusions. I have heard of many cases with such allegations (or similar) and oftentimes they just get brushed underneath the carpet due to the lack of evidence.

If you read up on other articles posted on this particular incident, you will note that, unless he took pictures, there was no sex or anything that would leave incriminating evidence. What it essentially comes down to is this girls word against his. And the authorities HAVE to take such accusations seriously.

Tiki Tiki Tembo said:

Let's wait for the entire evidence to be presented before 'we' jump to conclusions. You may be new on this site, but TTSD is a fairly light-hearted poster...don't read too much into posts ppl post on SDN :)

-Harps

His career is ruined one way or another.

Mongo said:
His career is ruined one way or another.

Yeah, if he's found guilty he'll go to jail, and if he's found innocent the best he can hope for is probably a quiet retirement, as his reputation is ruined either way.

Kazema said:
Yeah, if he's found guilty he'll go to jail, and if he's found innocent the best he can hope for is probably a quiet retirement, as his reputation is ruined either way.

Yup, I've heard of a teacher who was very popular with his students.. then one person makes an accusation, and it was dismissed but he cannot get another job.

Sometimes free-speach and the media's a b*tch. Regardless if this is dismissed, the story will probably be at the back of the newspaper (if at all), one paragraph long and people will forever look at him with suspicion, not to mention his family.