Allergy and Immunology

Started by Lifehouse
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lifehouse

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a college freshman and interested in pursuing a medical career in allergy and immunology. I was wondering how competitive these fellowships are. Also, is there anything I can do as an undergraduate (research, volunteering, etc.) that would help me when applying for such a residency/fellowship? Thanks for your help.
 
I'm a college freshman and interested in pursuing a medical career in allergy and immunology. I was wondering how competitive these residencies are. Also, is there anything I can do as an undergraduate (research, volunteering, etc.) that would help me when applying for such a residency? Thanks for your help.

It is a fellowship. You need to do a residency, probably internal medicine, prior to beginning an Allergy and Immunology fellowship. Your performance during residency will be most applicable to getting into a competitive fellowship program.
Focus on getting into a good medical school at this point. There are lots of things that you can do to help your chances with that. Talk to your pre-med advisor at your university.