Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am new to nursing home consulting. It seems that 50% of all residents in my nursing homes are on Flonase or another allergy nasal spray. Most likely they had a sniffle for a couple days and the doctor put them on the nasal spray for life. I want to suggest an appropriate duration of therapy to the doctor, but the packet insert for Flonase says "Greater symptom control may be achieved with scheduled regular use." "Maximum effect may take several days. (4-7 days)." "Symptom relief starts as soon as 12 hours."
My opinion: Change scheduled Flonase to PRN. Start at onset of symptoms and continue for only 2 weeks. If patient then needs a second treatment within the next 2 weeks, change back to daily scheduled dosing.
I cannot find any other professional opinion.
Thank you.
My opinion: Change scheduled Flonase to PRN. Start at onset of symptoms and continue for only 2 weeks. If patient then needs a second treatment within the next 2 weeks, change back to daily scheduled dosing.
I cannot find any other professional opinion.
Thank you.