Almost at my breaking point!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot stand this exam! Continously, it shows me that what I have been learning for the past 3 years is useless. In fact, it appears as if I have learned nothing. Why medicine? is a question that we all get. After this semester from hell, I am wondering the same thing. I would I want to put myself through this torture! Then, I think about what I would do otherwise, and find that nothing, absolutely nothing, interests me. It's so difficult for me to find a fun class to take or something to do, because I am just bored to tears. Maybe I am just bored with life in general. I'm am so fed up with studying hard and trying to do well on tests, and not seeing any results. I am fed up with trying to do specific things just to please an ADCOM. I had a panic attack last week over this exam. Right now, I am at the point of "I don't give a damn anymore." I took practice exam 2 today, and using the scale that's provided with the booklet, I got an 8V, 9PS, and 11BS. How does 9 wrong in verbal equate to an 8, I have no clue. I don't know what to do anymore. HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno how 9 wrong in verbal is an 8... on all the tests I have done on TPR and in the EK book, that would be an 11 or high. I wouldn't sweat one practice test, especially if your anxiety was really high when you took it. But I really don't think your score was that bad, especially your bio, and your only 2 points from a 30.

I am with you, this test sucks, and has really made me question whether I want to go thru with this. I concluded that I do and I am going to push on because to let a stupid test deter me will make me feel really bad. I think what has helped me to deal with the stress is just to realize that a. it can be taken again (which would suck, but it doable) b. this test is not the sole thing to determine your admissions Just try to keep your cool the next 2 weeks. It sounds like you have prepped a lot and that will put you in good shape on test day. It is a battle of nerves at this point and they design it that way. What really helped me was taking 2 days off from studying this weekend to do to a wedding. The break was good, I feel clearer and ready to kick it in now. And the fact that I got to chill on the beach in San Diego after the wedding helped also :) Maybe take a day off and see if that helps. Hang in there... in 2 weeks it will be over and we can have our lives back.

Well Julian, I can certainly say that I know exactly how you feel. However, you are obviously pushing yourself this hard because you really want to pursue medicine. You are frustrated in my opinion. Azpremed has got a good point; take a break! While the MCAT is certainly an important exam, it is not a definitive exam of who you are and how smart you are! Believe me, I get frustrated as well when I score poorly, but don?t let this deter or disappoint you. Yet again you are only human! Hang in there, this will all soon be over. Well, hopefully. :)

Oh and about the admissions comm. Rule #1, never revolve your life around pleasing everyone. No matter what you do and how good you do it, there will always be someone who does not like it and/or dissapproves. Rather, be yourself. That can take you along way.:D

Take care, you'll do fine!!! :)

Originally posted by JulianCrane
general. I'm am so fed up with studying hard and trying to do well on tests, and not seeing any results. I am fed up with trying to do specific things just to please an ADCOM. I had a panic attack last week over this exam. Right now, I am at the point of "I don't give a damn anymore." I took practice exam 2 today, and using the scale that's provided with the booklet, I got an 8V, 9PS, and 11BS. How does 9 wrong in verbal equate to an 8, I have no clue. I don't know what to do anymore. HELP!

I'm not here to discourage anyone, but it only gets worse. As hard as that test is, med school exams are even harder, in my opinion. The kind of dedication you have to have for the MCAT you'll have to keep up for 18 of 24 months you spend in your first two years. Studying endless hours can drive you insane if you come in already burned out from studying.

Consider taking some time away from school for a bit before you apply. It certainly helped me.

By the way, those scores on practice exams don't always correlate with the real thing. The real MCAT score is based on how everyone else did on that exam, so one time you could get an 8, next time that same score could be a 9 or a 7.