1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Done with Interviews, No spark yet

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by UpperEastSideOB, Dec 20, 2008.

1. UpperEastSideOB

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've been on a number of interviews thus far and I'm still waiting for that spark. If it doesn't happen, is it just a matter of adding up the pluses and minuses and ranking based on that? Off to pour through my materials again and fill in my spreadsheet. :(

#1 UpperEastSideOB, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doowai

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What do you mean spark? Do you mean none of the programs or facilities really excite you?

4. DarthNeurology

5+ Year Member

I think that it is important to go to a program that you would be very pleased to be a resident at, and there should be a lot that you love about the program, either the residents/attendings or the curriculum/opportunities for research etc . . . If there isn't a place that is absolutely a place where you would be happy then I would continue applying to programs. You should be thrilled on match day to get your number 1, 2, 3 or even 4th choice, not just a "Well, I guess I'm going to New Mexico. . . "

While residency isn't great, it helps if your starting baseline is "I am so happy to be going here, what great faculty!" - which will drop a bit down to "I am overall pleased with my choice." than starting at "Well, I did a spreadsheet and this place looked as good as any" down to "I would have applied elsewhere had I known . . ."

What specialty and what area of the country??