Step 3 pass- with attempt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SD11

Reaction score
I'm an IMG and have applied for residency this year.
I failed step 3 on my first attempt, but passed it on my next in the same cycle. I haven't updated my score in my ERAS application yet.
Can I update my score now?
Any advise is appreciated
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't try to game this, this is a very important update. Update immediately.
Yes, I was thinking of doing that. Should I update each and every program individually?
I'm worried that the programs won't be paying attention to the update. Will updating the program individually help me?

That's a tough call when I really think about it. Updating ERAS might be looked upon as 'due diligence', but to a minimum. By updating ERAS, you have done what would be expected of you. This late in the cycle, letting programs know would be going above that.

They may not be too happy with a failure, but on the other hand, they will likely be happy you have passed it and have it out of the way (and not have to worry about you taking away from any intern year responsibilities by having to study for Step 3.

That's a tough call when I really think about it. Updating ERAS might be looked upon as 'due diligence', but to a minimum. By updating ERAS, you have done what would be expected of you. This late in the cycle, letting programs know would be going above that.

They may not be too happy with a failure, but on the other hand, they will likely be happy you have passed it and have it out of the way (and not have to worry about you taking away from any intern year responsibilities by having to study for Step 3.
Thank you for the reply. By updating the score, I also meant updating the programs that I have interviewed at. Would this update change anything at this point?

That's what I was referring to in my post (whether to update programs individually or not at this point). I can't say for sure if it would change anything. As I was saying, it would be a wash in that it's a little negative that you failed it, but a little positive that you passed it and are done with it.

I don't think it should really affect your rank at programs, but I obviously cannot make that conclusion with certainty.