Almost undergrad graduate seeking advice Pre PT advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJN55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all -

I am in need for some advice or suggestions. Whenever I bring these concerns to advisors at my school, I am either scolded, or made to feel like I am a failure rather than being directed into the right direction for me.

So, my science GPA is in trouble. 2.38. Going into my last semester, I am realizing my approach and attitude towards these classes was wrong. (Thinking C's were ok). My overall GPA is a 2.86. School has been tough for me, which is why I am deciding to take a year off after graduation to take a break away from my studies.

During this time, I would like to focus on adding on to my experiences, prepping for the GRE, and also retaking classes. I have 4 C's in the sciences. Both in chemistry and biology. Does anyone know how I could improve that GPA for schools? Do they look at the last 60 credit hours. Once I have a degree (kinesiology), is that it or can I add on to it with just taking the sciences? Also I am aware that a 3.0 minimum is needed to even be considered so does boosting my science gpa also boost my overall GPA (or last 60 credit hour)?

I am an overall good student, it may not be reflected in my grades, I just need to work out my test taking/study skills. I spent many hours in my undergrad studying and not being happy because thats all I would do. It clearly did not work out in my favor, so now I am trying to find ways to improve. I am 100% certain though that I would like to take a year, or two max to just try to figure out and better my academics. I know I am it in me, I really enjoy helping people and being in the hospital setting. I can't be the only person who has been in this kind of situation. I am just lost as to where to go from here. My entire college career has been a whirlwind of confusion and no direction and this is the outcome of that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, definitely research schools that look at the last 60 credit hours and also schools that take the highest grade out of the retakes. Most schools usually average out the two grades, so your options will be limited. If you get As on your retakes, it will increase your cummulative GPA as well, but it will most likely be incremental compared to your math/sci/pre-req GPA. Be sure to use one of the GPA calculators online to determine how much credits you need to take to increase your GPA to the 3.0 minimum requirement.

I recommend retaking all the necessary pre reqs for PT school right after you graduate. You can complete most of them in about a year. You are free to take them wherever you want. For most schools, that will raise your overall GPA and boost your last 60 hours GPA too (check out specific school webpages to make sure this applies to your top picks). Go into those retakes knowing you need straight As and there's no other option. Get a lot of observation hours at the same time. You can be ready to apply sooner than you think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know what your GPA is over your last 60 hours? Is it significantly better than your cum GPA?

Hello all -

I am in need for some advice or suggestions. Whenever I bring these concerns to advisors at my school, I am either scolded, or made to feel like I am a failure rather than being directed into the right direction for me.

So, my science GPA is in trouble. 2.38. Going into my last semester, I am realizing my approach and attitude towards these classes was wrong. (Thinking C's were ok). My overall GPA is a 2.86. School has been tough for me, which is why I am deciding to take a year off after graduation to take a break away from my studies.

During this time, I would like to focus on adding on to my experiences, prepping for the GRE, and also retaking classes. I have 4 C's in the sciences. Both in chemistry and biology. Does anyone know how I could improve that GPA for schools? Do they look at the last 60 credit hours. Once I have a degree (kinesiology), is that it or can I add on to it with just taking the sciences? Also I am aware that a 3.0 minimum is needed to even be considered so does boosting my science gpa also boost my overall GPA (or last 60 credit hour)?

I am an overall good student, it may not be reflected in my grades, I just need to work out my test taking/study skills. I spent many hours in my undergrad studying and not being happy because thats all I would do. It clearly did not work out in my favor, so now I am trying to find ways to improve. I am 100% certain though that I would like to take a year, or two max to just try to figure out and better my academics. I know I am it in me, I really enjoy helping people and being in the hospital setting. I can't be the only person who has been in this kind of situation. I am just lost as to where to go from here. My entire college career has been a whirlwind of confusion and no direction and this is the outcome of that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

In addition to looking at schools that place emphasis on the last 60 to 90 credit hours I would also make sure the schools you are applying to use a replacement method for retaken classes as opposed to an averaging method. Sometimes this information is available on their admissions website, sometimes you need to call them. You MUST get A's in the classes you retake. You also need to knock the GRE out of the park.

I challenge you to rethink why PT is the profession for you as it will intrinsically motivate you. "Helping people" and "being in a hospital setting" can be done by pretty much any type of employee that works in a hospital. These are very shallow reasons. Make sure PT is truly what you want, invest a significant amount of time observing or even working as a PT aide. Your journey will definitely be difficult, but doable.

Reactions: 1 user
GPA is forever I guess, which is a sad truth.

Last edited: