Alpha-2 agonists vs antagonist mechanism?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daitong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Apparantly, "the mechanism of action of α2 blockers is an increased release of norepinephrine and serotonin from presynaptic vesicles. Remember that activating α2 receptors inhibits the release of these."

I don't get this. I thought the alpha-2, just like any adrenergic receptor, would require the release of NE/E to become activated, so wouldn't the mechanism of alpha-2 blockers INCREASE activity?

I feel like I'm missing a fundamental piece of the puzzle; could some one please explain it?

Members don't see this ad.

Alpha-2 receptors are found, among other places, on the terminals of postganglionic sympathetic neurons. When stimulated, they act as negative feedback on the neuron to tell it to stop releasing NE/5-HT. That's why a drug like clonidine, an alpha-2 agonist, is linked to depressive symptoms when administered because there is less release of NE/5-HT in the brain, which is hypothesized to be the problem in depression. If you gave an alpha-2 blocker, that would inhibit the inhibition of NE/5-HT release provided by the alpha-2 receptors;thus, it would actually increase the release of NE/5-HT.

Last edited:
I thought alpha 2 was found (sometimes) on post gang, but mainly pre gang. Hence, when you give an alpha 2 agonist, it is likely you CAN get a transient hypertension, but then you get lowered BP because alpha 2 MAINLY inhibits presynaptic secretion