Already applied this cycle and am freaking out!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lawnchair69

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new to SDN. I already applied for this cycle but I am extremely worried. I sent in my primary application at end of July and was verified by the end of August. I submitted 23 secondaries from late August to mid-September and was complete at all schools around the same time. I'm sitting on zero interview invites and am wondering if I made the mistake of applying too late with a somewhat mediocre app. I'd appreciate any feedback on my app and advice on where I should improve in case I need to reapply. I'm already planning on retaking the MCAT sometime in the spring and am continuing to volunteer at a hospital by my school. Please be brutally honest and thanks for the input!

APPLICATION

ORM, California resident.

Year in school: Senior graduating May 2019 with BS in Biological Sciences at a large private university in the Northeast.

Schools to which I have applied:

• Albany
    Tufts
    Rosalind Franklin
    Penn State
    George Washington (Pre-II hold)
    NYMC
    Temple
    Virginia Tech
    Quinnipiac
    UC Davis
    Wake Forest
    Tulane
    Loyola
    Upstate Medical University (Pre-II hold)
    Downstate Medical University
    U of Colorado
    U of Iowa
    Thomas Jefferson
    MC Wisconsin
    St. Louis University
    West Virginia University (Pre-II hold)
    Drexel
    OUWB

Besides the three holds, the other 20 schools have been silent.
Cumulative GPA: 3.91

Science GPA: 3.92

MCAT Scores:

June 2018: 508

Research – two poster presentations over the course of 2 years - 350 hours

Volunteering (clinical) – Volunteer at hospital in hometown - 170 hours
Volunteer at hospital next to my university - 80 hours

Physician shadowing – 24 hours shadowing ER physician, 30 hours shadowing IM physician

Non-clinical volunteering: 60 hours at refugee center
80 hours for a summer camp

Extracurricular activities: Member of cheerleading team for a year >500 hours
Board member of peer advising group for 2 years = 150 hours
Powerlifter for two years >500 hours

Compared to the average applicant on SDN, I know that I do not have the high stats or stellar ECs that will help me stand out as an applicant. When I applied, I thought that my app would at least have a fair chance for most of the schools that I applied to, but as each day passes, I am becoming more neurotic and feel as if my chances for even landing an interview are slim. I know that many of the schools I have applied to are already beginning to hand out acceptances/waitlists/rejections to applicants who interviewed in August/September. Should I hold out until November/December before I seriously begin to consider reapplying or is it totally normal to be in this position of waiting to hear back from schools for months with the way med school admission cycles tend to go?

@gyngyn
@Goro @gyngyn

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So you’ve been complete around a month. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of students who were complete before you. It’s going to take time for your application to be reviewed. It could happen tomorrow or next Spring. Just be patient. Keep up your activities so if schools accept updates you can submit one in a couple of months with your new grades and what you've been doing.