Already looking towards next semester. advice desired...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poppie910

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. As you may or may not recall from my previous post, I just started my returning "freshman" year after a 6 year hiatus (im 26 now). Everything is going great w my classes thus far, but im already wanting to plan my courseload for the fall. Im attending a comm college, and I think I've decided to go ahead and get the 2 year degree and then transfer.

That being said, im wanting to take the smartest approach course wise in the effort of maximizing the chances of obtaining the ultimate goal, which is of course, med school. I was enrolled for intermediate algebra this semester, but considering I had been out of school for so long, I wanted to solidify a good foundation, so I opted out and enrolled in just the basic math course. (Yeah I know lol) The science class is gen bio and im also taking a couple trivial courses just to fill fragments of the degree requirements.

I feel like time is of the essence as I start getting older, but the math situation did indeed set me back a bit because im not allowed to do chem 1 until algebra is completed. So I guess my primary question is, what would you guys do for next semester if you were in my shoes? Particularly, what route would you go in the science genre? Im wanting to try and plan it to where I don't take any upper level courses until I get to the university, but I also have the lingering thoughts of the whole "mcat timing" aspect.

I don't feel like I explained my situation very well through that rant, but any ideas/opinions would be much appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

By semester, do you mean summer or fall? Can you take algebra in the summer? Bam, right back on track. I think.

I was referring to the fall, but yeah, I could definitely look into taking it in the summer, the 8 wks vs a full 16 wk semester kinda worries me w the more important courses. I wanna be sure to retain as much as I can. Also, any coursework in the summer will come out of pocket because of budget cuts in financial aid not allowing assistance in the summer. And im pretty broke lol. Im sure I could come up w 4-5 hundred bux for the class though, I will definitely consider this.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, but i did the same thing with college algebra a number of years ago. I took algebra and precalc in high school and figured i forgot most of it and come college algebra time, some of the stuff was new, or at least a different method, but the vast majority was an "oh yeah, now I remember." how much math did you have in high school. if you had any algebra in high school or it has really been a long time, (which six years isn't insane for math) i would probably skip the easier one. the problem is, most series classes are offered fall -> spring. You can do spring -> fall but then time selection or availability become limited, at least in all the colleges I have attended. So I personally think that taking chem 1 in the fall is the best bet. Unless scheduling is a non issue to you. It potentially saves you a year, depending on the college.

I took algebra in high school, but I graduated in 2003.. just seems so long ago to me now. However, you definitely have me leaning towards taking it during the summer so to stay on pace. Thank you. :).. how far should I go in the cc course wise though? I know adcoms like university courses over cc courses. Im thinking ill do chem 1 and chem 2 at the cc and then do orgo and physics junior year at the university and then immediately take the mcat. Would that be feasible/logical?

yeah that would be feasible. I was told in an interview that there was a strong correlation between doing well in university level orgo and success in med school. This was the first time I have heard that and the other interviewer was just as surprised as I was, so I wouldn't put a lot of weight in that, but if you do those two as well as maybe a couple upper level bios, you should be more than fine. and I graduated in 2002. You definitely want to be good with algebra and trig before you do chem and physics. you should cover all of that. It may be a pain to take it in the summer, but if brevity is a concern, I would recommend it.

yeah that would be feasible. I was told in an interview that there was a strong correlation between doing well in university level orgo and success in med school. This was the first time I have heard that and the other interviewer was just as surprised as I was, so I wouldn't put a lot of weight in that, but if you do those two as well as maybe a couple upper level bios, you should be more than fine. and I graduated in 2002. You definitely want to be good with algebra and trig before you do chem and physics. you should cover all of that. It may be a pain to take it in the summer, but if brevity is a concern, I would recommend it.

Well okay then, that's going to be my plan of attack. Thx alot man, im a big fan as it is... especially of that awesome o rly baby lol!