Alright who signed this pet letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seriously, I have honestly considered at times if I could live with myself if I started doing things like going into PP, diagnosing "CTE", and using qEEG and snake oil treatments. I'd make bank. How much money would it take to be comfortable delivering what I know are sham diagnoses and treatments?

Members don't see this ad.

The crazy thing is not only would you make bank, your patients would love you and feel better. Because you'd be harnessing the power of the placebo effect and making a personal therapeutic connection with them. In the end, you might actually be doing more good than some burnout moving mechanically through 20+ fifteen minute med checks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Well, I don't have much to worry about with time, I get my patients for 4-6 hours a pop. My older dementia/stroke/epilepsy/MS/movement disorder patients seem to appreciate the care and recommendations/referrals. It's just those pesky mTBI/concussion patients who do not like to be told that they are either doing just fine on objective testing, or that they horribly failed my validity tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
The crazy thing is not only would you make bank, your patients would love you and feel better. Because you'd be harnessing the power of the placebo effect and making a personal therapeutic connection with them. In the end, you might actually be doing more good than some burnout moving mechanically through 20+ fifteen minute med checks.

That is one of the all-time best statements I have seen on this message board. Painfully true. I am finding out more and more that even with my psychotherapy practice with 45-60 minute sessions, I find it exhausting to give my patients what they really need when I have every hour blocked. If I did less than that, then I just get less money. I am incentivized to deliver lesser care. Who designed this system anyway?

In an SDN sees into the future, I just had a claimant with a "therapy bird" walk into the damn office. Eye contact was difficult.

In an SDN sees into the future, I just had a claimant with a "therapy bird" walk into the damn office. Eye contact was difficult.

I've always wondered how you guys handle it when patients do stuff like this. Do you ever have to excuse yourself from the room so you can burst out laughing?

See? I wouldn't mind that as long as it didn't start crapping all over everything. Birds are neat. I'd have a much bigger problem with cats. The cat ladies set off my allergies even when they don't bring the cats with them. Saw one a few weeks ago with 25 cats at home. I can't even imagine.

See? I wouldn't mind that as long as it didn't start crapping all over everything. Birds are neat. I'd have a much bigger problem with cats. The cat ladies set off my allergies even when they don't bring the cats with them. Saw one a few weeks ago with 25 cats at home. I can't even imagine.

You're a lioness. How can you be allergic to cats?

Reactions: 1 user
Hahahahahaa. I didn't even think of that. I think I must be just allergic to the bite size ones. They are beneath me. ;).

Truly though, I'm a total dog person. I just really like the big cats aesthetically and had this Egyptian mythology thing going on when I was a resident and chose this handle.

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, this is my therapy shark, his name's Chompy (no, really, his name's 'Chompy' the happiest shark in South Australian waters :D). And I will now be requiring my Psychiatrist to conduct sessions underwater at Neptune Island. Too much to ask? How dare you discriminate against my chosen therapy animal! :rage:

29qcm02.jpg

*Image courtesy of Rodney Fox Shark Expeditions www.rodneyfox.com.au*

How long until inanimate objects become therapeutic?

"I feel comforted and safe knowing my therapy gun is by my side"

I don't doubt these already are security items.

I've seen people carry guns in the most peculiar way that perhaps could be considered Freudian. They slip the gun in between the small of their back and the waist of their jeans. I'm not sure if it's resting in the intergluteal cleft or what's going on. I don't know people who own guns (well maybe they do, but I haven't seen the guns or asked), so I've never been able to ask. It looks like a rather precarious way to carry a gun.

I don't doubt these already are security items.

I've seen people carry guns in the most peculiar way that perhaps could be considered Freudian. They slip the gun in between the small of their back and the waist of their jeans. I'm not sure if it's resting in the intergluteal cleft or what's going on. I don't know people who own guns (well maybe they do, but I haven't seen the guns or asked), so I've never been able to ask. It looks like a rather precarious way to carry a gun.

You're probably reading into it too much. For some, a gun is easier to conceal if carried in the small of the back. If you're after something more fertile for such interpretations, google, "Thunderwear" and have at it..

You're probably reading into it too much. For some, a gun is easier to conceal if carried in the small of the back. If you're after something more fertile for such interpretations, google, "Thunderwear" and have at it..
I can see what you mean. Thunderwear better represents Freud's third stage of psychosexual development, as eloquently put by Tracy Jordan:

Edit: I should edit to say I don't agree with the premise of the joke. Living in Southern Virginia I think I hear women passionately talking about their guns as much as men, maybe more so. That was a very funny episode of 30 Rock, though.

Last edited:
The cat thing reminded me of a funny case a couple years back. Female patient with depression, low self-esteem, chronic feelings of loneliness and a belief that nobody really wants her, needs her, or loves her. A friend recommended a pet for unconditional love and companionship.

She got a cat.

The cat thing reminded me of a funny case a couple years back. Female patient with depression, low self-esteem, chronic feelings of loneliness and a belief that nobody really wants her, needs her, or loves her. A friend recommended a pet for unconditional love and companionship.

She got a cat.
A lot of cats will validate those feelings for her because they don't want, need, or love anyone except themselves. ;)
One reason I prefer cats as pets for myself is because I already gave at the office. Last thing I need is to come home to someone who wants my attention. My wife occasionally complains about that too. :p