Alternate career path

Started by huknows00
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

huknows00

huknows00
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I ran into this surgical intern at school and got into a chat. He said he got his degree, helped to run a research lab, worked and took classes in the business school, THEN just started his internship.

So my question is, how flexible is the traditional 8MDPhD+4Reidency+2Fellowship path that all of us are encouraged to take. Say if I finish the MSTP, do an internship and become licensed for general practice, then go into the industry and work in R&D for a couple of years (actually earn some money to buy a house and start a family), THEN come back and do a residency when I'm more grounded financially and more confident in my intended specialty... is that feasible?