Alternate list vs. Waitlist?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Darwin, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Darwin

Well the verdict is in on my horrific day at SLU...ended up "ranked" on the alternate list. Is this different than a waitlist and what does this mean?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member

Sounds similiar, if not identical...it's something though! You weren't rejected outright! Somebody had to have been.

4. kobe8

kobe8 Member

Waiting list and alternate list are the same thing. Some schools just use a different term. I hope this helps. ;) ;) ;)

5. Amy

Amy Animal Lover
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Some schools put most people who interview on a waitlist, and then later formulate an alternate list of the people at the top of the waitlist. The people on the alternate list are offered a spot in the class as they become available. For some schools, an alternate list may be the same thing as a waitlist... since you were put on an "alternate list" withougt being on a waitlist first, it probably is the same thing at SLU.

6. lake show

lake show Senior Member

SLUs alternate list is the same as a waiting list. and be prepared to wait. i interviewed last year in jan, got put in the alternate list in feb and waited the whole spring/summer without a peep until i got the rejection in july. this was only my case, so you may hear news earlier, but just be prepared for a long wait.

7. jdub

jdub Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    the alternate list at udub seattle wwami program ranks people on the list, ie they pull people of the list in a predetermined order.

BUT, maybe some waiting list do that too?

what ever it is, the idea is pretty similar, "we don't want you now, but maybe we'll get a hold of you later".

best of luck.

btw, don't feel bad, most schools put a lot folks on these list just so they can get a better feel for the whole interview pool.

8. Barton

Barton Senior Member

I just got that SLU ranked alternate list thing too. Sigh... Well, at least it isn't an outright rejection. And now to wait.