Alternate listed at DMU...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hisuida

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again guys-.
So I just got an email saying that I'm on the alternate list for DMU :(
I feel like I really was too nervous at the interview and didn't make a good enough
impression (I totally wowed and impressed people at my second interview, so
I did get accepted to the other school).
So..now what? Would it be possible to do a second interview?
I really really want to go to DMU, and I'm almost considering applying in the next cycle and
see how it goes, but since there is no guarantee of anything, I'm really scared and
not too sure if I want to wait another year to start school.
Also, if I were to apply again, would I need to get new LOR's?
Is bugging the admissions people, saying how much I want to go to the school/what I'd bring
etc etc a good idea?

Thanks again and good luck to everyone who got wait listed.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think being waitlisted is a terrible position to be in. Since it's late in the cycle, they are being cautious and waitlisting people to make sure they don't under or over fill their class. I would recommend submitting the deposit for the other school and seeing if you get off the waitlist. If you get off the waitlist, great! You lose the deposit at the other school but you get to go to your top pick! If you don't get off the waitlist, at least you can go to podiatry school next year. I don't think it's a good idea to wait another year simply because good podiatrists come out of all the podiatry schools. Also, consider how many years you have ahead and the potential loss of income for that one year when you start making money. If you really dislike the other school for whatever reason, consider deferring your admission to that school for a year and then applying again to DMU early in the next cycle.

As far as LOR's are concerned, I would think you could re-use your LOR's but I would call DMU admissions to confirm.

Hello again guys-.
So I just got an email saying that I'm on the alternate list for DMU :(
I feel like I really was too nervous at the interview and didn't make a good enough
impression (I totally wowed and impressed people at my second interview, so
I did get accepted to the other school).
So..now what? Would it be possible to do a second interview?
I really really want to go to DMU, and I'm almost considering applying in the next cycle and
see how it goes, but since there is no guarantee of anything, I'm really scared and
not too sure if I want to wait another year to start school.
Also, if I were to apply again, would I need to get new LOR's?
Is bugging the admissions people, saying how much I want to go to the school/what I'd bring
etc etc a good idea?

Thanks again and good luck to everyone who got wait listed.

Do you mind sharing your stats (MCAT and GPA) and shadowing hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think being waitlisted is a terrible position to be in. Since it's late in the cycle, they are being cautious and waitlisting people to make sure they don't under or over fill their class. I would recommend submitting the deposit for the other school and seeing if you get off the waitlist. If you get off the waitlist, great! You lose the deposit at the other school but you get to go to your top pick! If you don't get off the waitlist, at least you can go to podiatry school next year. I don't think it's a good idea to wait another year simply because good podiatrists come out of all the podiatry schools. Also, consider how many years you have ahead and the potential loss of income for that one year when you start making money. If you really dislike the other school for whatever reason, consider deferring your admission to that school for a year and then applying again to DMU early in the next cycle.

As far as LOR's are concerned, I would think you could re-use your LOR's but I would call DMU admissions to confirm.

Thank you so much for your comment. It really made my day :) I will send in the deposit and wait I guess X)
I actually got accepted to OCPM, so I may see you there!

How did you do on your MCAT in April? They would not have invited you to interview unless they were willing to accept you, so you are qualified. It's just that time of year for waitlists...

A letter from you stating that it is your number one choice, etc etc is definitely a good idea and I would not hesitate for a moment to send one. Since they don't publish waitlist numbers, it may just put you at the top.

Good Luck!

hisuida,

Did you get interviewed late in the cycle? April or May?

How did you do on your MCAT in April? They would not have invited you to interview unless they were willing to accept you, so you are qualified. It's just that time of year for waitlists...

A letter from you stating that it is your number one choice, etc etc is definitely a good idea and I would not hesitate for a moment to send one. Since they don't publish waitlist numbers, it may just put you at the top.

Good Luck!

I was really not feeling well during the exam so I finished in a hurry, and had to void :(
I was pretty sure I did pretty well on the verbal section too. Arg..
Thanks for your advice- I did send them an email saying that DMU is my first choice :)

I was really not feeling well during the exam so I finished in a hurry, and had to void :(
I was pretty sure I did pretty well on the verbal section too. Arg..

No one comes out of the MCAT smelling like daisies. The queasy feeling ends pretty quickly after the exam ends.

No one comes out of the MCAT smelling like daisies. The queasy feeling ends pretty quickly after the exam ends.

It wasn't the queasy thing.. More of an almost going to pass out, had both nose bleeding etc etc. It was a bit crazy. I didn't expect my body to react like that. I was fine the first time. :*(

You'll find that there are a lot of people that go to several interviews, and many candidates (especially those with high stats) were accepted to multiple schools.

Obviously they can't go everywhere, and DMU isn't the first choice for some of them (many? I dont know, but at least some!). I wholeheartedly agree with putting a deposit down elsewhere, and if you're serious about wanting DMU then being willing to give up the deposit money isn't too big of a deal.

That being said, with solid motivation you'll do fine anywhere you go. Good luck! Maybe I'll see you around?

dude.... so how long does it take DMU to respond to admission status after interviews?

dude.... so how long does it take DMU to respond to admission status after interviews?

for me last year it was 4 days.

Give them a call. Worst case scenario, you're in the same boat you are now.

They still have a few more interview days left with only a few spots open. My best guess is that they are waiting to give all the candidates a chance before they fill those last few spots. I am sure a few people who have commited will also end up going somewhere else, so more spots may open. It is probably hard for both the candidates and the adcom at this point in the game. Adcom wants to make sure they take the right ones, but it means more waiting on the candidates part.

I know patience is a virtue but dang.... I guess all things good comes to those who wait..."good" being knowing their decision and not a yes haha