Alternates that received acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Off of the Iowa State waitlist by phone and e-mail. Found out today!!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh wow. I declined my spot at ISU just today. How cool would that be if you got it! Do you know if you'll choose Iowa or Ohio?

Does anyone know anything about the Mich. state waitlist...????

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know anything about the Mich. state waitlist...????

I know they've started calling alternates. A friend of mine got the call last week.

Massey by email 4/30/07.

Hey Critterfixer... My decision ultimately came down to money, and that is why I choose Ohio State.

Got a call today!!! Yeah!

Sure no problem. I am out-of-state :)

RunnerDC,
Will you be going to Tufts or are you still MN-bound?

For a host of family- & partner-related reasons (oh, and their program was also pretty great!), I'll be going to Tufts...

So this is how it feels! Just got word from Ohio. Accepted off waitlist, #25. Goodluck to everyone.

Much congrats! Will you be joining us?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto here. Hope to see you in the fall!

Congrats! Tuskegee obviously doesn't know what they're doing...even if I get in there I'm off to the caribbean

#33 off Ohio. I hope someone wants my seat at Kansas....

oh...btw, my boyfriend better be UBER excited when i'm tell him i'll be 3 instead of 15 hours away!!

Congrats animalallergy!

Congrats AnimalAllergy:clap: See you in September!

I'm so glad to hear that animalallergy!!!

Congratulations everyone!!

in case anyone is waiting for a spot to open up at Tufts... I declined my spot today :) I actually hand delivered it and when I spoke with admissions, they said the committee will be meeting again next week to go through their next round of acceptances (its so weird that they do this and do not just rank everyone, imo) good luck!!

in case anyone is waiting for a spot to open up at Tufts... I declined my spot today :) I actually hand delivered it and when I spoke with admissions, they said the committee will be meeting again next week to go through their next round of acceptances (its so weird that they do this and do not just rank everyone, imo) good luck!!

FYI they did rank everyone and have already exhausted the wait list Tufts is going back through the applications they rejected to fill next years class.

FYI they did rank everyone and have already exhausted the wait list Tufts is going back through the applications they rejected to fill next years class.
Wow that sucks...
I guess it is good for those who get offers but that would be a really odd situation (well now you are good enough for us)...:rolleyes:

i'm on the list as an alternate but i haven't heard anything...is that different than being on the wait list that you say has been exhausted, or perhaps i'm just misunderstanding you? :)

yeah, i was still an alternate when i heard i got in tufts today, not rejected. but hey, i sure feel special anyway...

They probably don't rank in the sense that every alternate has a number, but rather have placed alternates into categories. They seek as much diversity (geog, race, academic background, age, sex, etc) as they can get, and would likely want to pick from their alternates in a way that maximizes their chances of retaining that diversity.

I think alternate selection has less to do with academics than other demographic factors. Everybody on the alternate list is a qualified candidate, or else, they would not be on the alternate list being considered for admission in the first place. Academically, it's like splitting hairs; if you're on an alt list somewhere, you probably don't look much different than other alts or even from those initially admitted, for that matter.

That said, I am highly skeptical that any school would so grossly misestimate their admissions and declines so as to have to go back to those they have already fully rejected in order to fill the class. The adcom folks have been doing this for a long time and have an algorithm to make it such that they don't grossly under- or overestimate in any given year to the point that they would have to do this. I'm sure it could happen, but would be surprised if it did.

That is definitely NOT the case. Besides, they would never reject someone first and then tell them they are accepted. Once you're rejected, you're rejected.

That is definitely NOT the case. Besides, they would never reject someone first and then tell them they are accepted. Once you're rejected, you're rejected.

no that's happened before. one of the vets i shadowed was rejected from a school and then they called him in july and offered him a spot, but he had already deposited at another school.

That said, I am highly skeptical that any school would so grossly misestimate their admissions and declines so as to have to go back to those they have already fully rejected in order to fill the class. The adcom folks have been doing this for a long time and have an algorithm to make it such that they don't grossly under- or overestimate in any given year to the point that they would have to do this. I'm sure it could happen, but would be surprised if it did.

This has happened in previous years, and not just at Tufts. If you read back through all the posted acceptances, rejections of offers, waitlist offers, rejections of those offers, etc.,etc.--it isn't difficult to see how an alternate list can be exhausted. Schools have no other choice in order to fill the classes.

This has happened in previous years, and not just at Tufts. If you read back through all the posted acceptances, rejections of offers, waitlist offers, rejections of those offers, etc.,etc.--it isn't difficult to see how an alternate list can be exhausted. Schools have no other choice in order to fill the classes.

I can understand that it has and can happen, but I don't think that is what has happened here (yet), nor do I think that this is the norm.

Schools overadmit and keep waitlist/alternate lists. Between those two vehicles, the likelihood of them having to go back to someone they fully rejected is, I think, very slim. But, yes, I agree that history has probably shown that it has happened and certainly can again.

Last year, one of the girls in the freshman class was flat out rejected - Dean Thompson went down to speak with her himself (she worked at the vet school) to tell her that they had actually exhausted the alternate list...and how did she feel about starting school on monday? (yes, she found out she was in the friday before classes started!) so it most definitely happens. And it has happened more than once here at UF. Dean Thompson is very picky about his alternate list, and its usually quite short.

Even though this does happen at schools every year (happened to me at MN last year, got an email in july basically saying i had just missed the cutoff and now they were interested...) but unless bubbles is on the admissions committe at tufts, i don't see how she would know that, and considering I know who the student members of the adcom are, and she ain't one of them (not to mention she doesnt even go to tufts), she's probably mistaken.

i was told by staff at tufts that the ad com had to have a special meeting to get back together and they took me and one other person. i found that interesting. why would they only take 2 more, unless we're the sludge at the bottom of the alternate list? then why would they even meet again? maybe they were low on Caucasian girls?:rolleyes:

who cares Turbo, at least you're in!!! ;) sludge or not, you're going to be a vet!!! congrats! :)

i was told by staff at tufts that the ad com had to have a special meeting to get back together and they took me and one other person. i found that interesting. why would they only take 2 more, unless we're the sludge at the bottom of the alternate list? then why would they even meet again? maybe they were low on Caucasian girls?:rolleyes:

my guess is that they must have fallen two people short of their class size of 80, so they hit the alt list again to fill the slots. you can imagine there is still some movement going on, with people getting in off of alt lists and then withdrawing a slot they may have been holding at another school, etc. doesn't seem odd to me that adcoms will meet on an as-need basis to always maintain their target number of incoming students.

I am a Tufts alternate and I am confused. If they've exhausted their alternate list why haven't I heard anything? Why would they skip over alternates and go back to people they've rejected. I thought the point of the alternate list was they we were qualified enough to get in if there were more spots?

I am a Tufts alternate and I am confused. If they've exhausted their alternate list why haven't I heard anything? Why would they skip over alternates and go back to people they've rejected. I thought the point of the alternate list was they we were qualified enough to get in if there were more spots?

It appears as though there has been some misinformation given on this list. As a current Tufts student pointed out here, the person who made the original claim that Tufts' alt list was exhausted has no affiliation with Tufts, so could not possibly know of the inner-workings of their adcom. If you have any questions or doubts, though, you should definitely call Tufts and get the final word directly from the source. I have no doubt that they will be very helpful.

First off I apologize. I was told that Tufts had exhausted the wait list by an integral person of a large pre-vet program in MA. I thought she of all people would know what she was talking about, since she runs the program (basically) and sets up mock interviews and in general is on top of everything, or so it seemed. I thought telling everyone here would lift the hopes of some people who had been interviewed and then rejected at Tufts. Obviously she was misinformed and I apologize again for all the confusion and heartache I caused.

((((BUBBLES))))) :biglove::biglove:

Hey, I really don't know because Tufts flat out rejected me (no interview even), but perhaps you guys are talking about instate vs out of state lists?

Also, I heard I got in off the waitlist at Iowa State yesterday! I heard by email (no phone call though), and I'm out of state.

I was just (5/16/07) accepted off of the waitlist at Kansas State! I found out by phone! :D :hardy:

well, we'll know more about the inner workings of tufts soon. I declined my acceptance at IL, and just declined my offer at tufts. I'm going to Wisconsin!!!!:D

Congrats TurboVet!! Look forward to seeing you and everyone else come August!!!

well, we'll know more about the inner workings of tufts soon. I declined my acceptance at IL, and just declined my offer at tufts. I'm going to Wisconsin!!!!:D

Congratulations Turbo Vet! When I had my "why was I put on the alternate list and not accepted" interview at Tufts they told me that the alternates who had been taken off the waitlist had until the end of this week to decide. I guess that means someone else should get accepted next week! I wonder how many of us are left on their waitlist....

Theoretical question... if you hear that you are accepted say a week before classes, like some horror stories on the forums talk about, and you aren't prepared financially, can you defer a year? Or is the offer only good if you can actually come? I just worry that they will finally accept me the day before classes start and I will not have loans etc. ready to go.

Some schools let you defer. Some schools even invite you to defer and are actually biased about it. The vet I worked with, Purdue wrote her and asked if she wanted to defer because they'd read that she was a star softball pitcher at Purdue, and had one year of NCAA eligibility left. She declined the deferment.

In that situation I doubt that they would let you defer. Most schools aren't good with deferments in the first place (there are a few exceptions), but in the case of late alternate acceptance I really doubt they would allow that. I'm certainly not positive though.

I just (6/20/07) found out I got off the waitlist at the U of Illinois! :) They left a voicemail on my cell phone.

But now I'm confused. :confused: