Alternative Financial Aid

Started by Fizzy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Fizzy

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same situation. Are there financial aid options for a person who has bad credit and can not obtain a co-signer for a loan? Is it still possible to obtain loan monies for DO or MD schools for a person with bad credit history?
 
Fizzy said:
I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same situation. Are there financial aid options for a person who has bad credit and can not obtain a co-signer for a loan? Is it still possible to obtain loan monies for DO or MD schools for a person with bad credit history?

absolutely... they are called Stafford loans. I am s/p divorce with credit now in the shyter thanks to the ex-hubby. Was able to get all the money I needed via government loans, a few sundry scholarships, and long term university loans while in medical school. Of course the money ain't much and you'll be eatin' a lot of mac and cheese and PB&J but it'll get you through.
 
Fizzy said:
I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same situation. Are there financial aid options for a person who has bad credit and can not obtain a co-signer for a loan? Is it still possible to obtain loan monies for DO or MD schools for a person with bad credit history?
Financial aid for medical school is a complicated beast that takes a while to master - you might want to spend some time in the financial aid forum. Federal Stafford loans are not dependent on your credit, unless you are in default of a prior student loan and have not made payment arrangements. For amounts over $38.5K/year (which nearly all of us need these days), the GRADLOANS program was created as an alternative to credit-based private loans. I've forgotten the details of GRADLOANS off the top of my head, but the credit standards for getting one are pretty relaxed - if you're not 90 days delinquent on anything, you're pretty much good to go, as I recall. Bad credit used to be a show-stopper for people who needed private loans, but I believe GRADLOANS was created to help fix this problem. Good luck.