Financial aspects of post bacc, SMP, med school

Started by J_N2020
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

J_N2020

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey forum members!

I hope I’m posting this in the right section.

I was just wondering what are some ways some of you are approaching the financial aspects of a post bacc in combination with possibly an SMP, and then med school. I’m terrified to take out private loans, and I also heard that there is a plan to get rid of the PLUS federal loan option. Just wondering how to go about all of this.
 
For post-bacc classes, I took CC classes, then found out that my full-time job offers tuition assistance, so I used that to enroll in a degree program that covers the pre-med basics (at least for my job, you don't have to complete the program to get tuition assistance, just be an "enrolled student".) For medical school, since I plan on going into primary care, I'm looking at the NHSC. I have a spouse and kiddo, so I'm trying to spend as little as possible - and applying alone was $7k 🙁