Alternative methods of receiving a veterinary education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattytim456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on attending college to pursue a veterinary degree in 2017. Besides the multiple veterinary schools accredited by the Avma in North America, there are some in the Caribbean as well as Australia, Europe, and New Zealand. Would it be a possibility to get into a Caribbean vet school with only 2 years of college? If so, would the extra 2 years be beneficial over a slightly more prestigious degree? Or, if I were to attend college in OZ or Europe, would the extra 3 years be better than getting a DVM over a BVSC? Also, the AVMA recognizes BVSC as a DVM so would it be ethical or frowned upon to display a DVM rather than a BVSC?

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning on attending college to pursue a veterinary degree in 2017. Besides the multiple veterinary schools accredited by the Avma in North America, there are some in the Caribbean as well as Australia, Europe, and New Zealand. Would it be a possibility to get into a Caribbean vet school with only 2 years of college? If so, would the extra 2 years be beneficial over a slightly more prestigious degree? Or, if I were to attend college in OZ or Europe, would the extra 3 years be better than getting a DVM over a BVSC? Also, the AVMA recognizes BVSC as a DVM so would it be ethical or frowned upon to display a DVM rather than a BVSC?
You cannot display a "DVM" if you don't have one. Just because they are equivocal degrees doesn't mean that you can say you have a DVM.

You don't have to have a 4 year degree with many US schools, either, as long as you have the pre-reqs done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, the AVMA recognizes BVSC as a DVM so would it be ethical or frowned upon to display a DVM rather than a BVSC?
They don't ever say a BVSC is the same as a DVM..........You can only display or claim to have the actual degree you earned; to do otherwise is highly unethical. if you earned a BVSC, you can use the term "doctor" and the short form "Dr.", but you cannot use the acronym DVM. However, no one is prejudiced against hiring a BVSC instead of a DVM - some of the best vet schools in the world graduate veterinarians with a BVSC.

Also, the AVMA recognizes BVSC as a DVM so would it be ethical or frowned upon to display a DVM rather than a BVSC?

I don't think you understand this.

There are AVMA accredited schools in Europe and Oz. You can get BVMS, BVSc, BVetMed etc depending on which school you graduate from because over there it is a Bachelor's degree. Because these schools are accredited and you take the NAVLE, you are considered a Doctor within North America, but the letters DVM do not show up behind you name. Sometimes this is a lot to explain to clients and even my bosses call me or write DVM after my name. I used to fight it, but now I just let it go in most cases.

You do not need to have a Bachelor's to get into these schools, but you at least need most of the pre-reqs in most cases.