Alternative therapies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnsol197

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone currently perform any alternative physical therapy, such as acupuncture/acupressure, reiki, meditation, natural medicine, etc? I am really weighing my options for PT school and feel like this will ultimately make a decision for me! I am very interested and would love to know if this is a posible field to go into!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to base your treatment on science, those alternative treatments are not for you. If you don't care about science then go for it. If those things are how you want to treat patients, I would rather you do not go into my profession.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't do those alternate therapies because most of them aren't backed by hard science, and because they likely wouldn't be reimbursed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Certainly, these types of complementary alternative medicine (CAM) won't be the central basis of your practice or clinical decision making for the reasons the previous posters have mentioned. However, being what we call an evidenced-based practitioners, we take into account not only what the research says, but also the expertise of the therapist and the values and perspectives of the patient. If you're patient is benefitting from some of these CAM therapies, then why not integrate meditation or relaxation techniques into your plan of care for a patient. Many CAM therapies have been found to be beneficial for a variety of patient populations, e.g. oncology, in terms of improving quality of life. This goes without saying that you need to be careful as what you term "physical therapy" and what constitutes as your scope of practice. CAM therapies are just that--they are complementary to physical therapy.

As a practicing clinician, I have integrated elements CAM into my practice. Not too long ago, we categorized spinal manipulation (part of "chiropractic medicine"), biofeedback, visual/guided imagery, etc. as CAMs, but are now elements of physical therapy practice. I'm not quick to disregard CAMs, as they can have a part to play in the recovery process of many of our patients.

Certainly, these types of complementary alternative medicine (CAM) won't be the central basis of your practice or clinical decision making for the reasons the previous posters have mentioned. However, being what we call an evidenced-based practitioners, we take into account not only what the research says, but also the expertise of the therapist and the values and perspectives of the patient. If you're patient is benefitting from some of these CAM therapies, then why not integrate meditation or relaxation techniques into your plan of care for a patient. Many CAM therapies have been found to be beneficial for a variety of patient populations, e.g. oncology, in terms of improving quality of life. This goes without saying that you need to be careful as what you term "physical therapy" and what constitutes as your scope of practice. CAM therapies are just that--they are complementary to physical therapy.

As a practicing clinician, I have integrated elements CAM into my practice. Not too long ago, we categorized spinal manipulation (part of "chiropractic medicine"), biofeedback, visual/guided imagery, etc. as CAMs, but are now elements of physical therapy practice. I'm not quick to disregard CAMs, as they can have a part to play in the recovery process of many of our patients.

Yes! I don't want to primarily do CAMs, if that was the case why would I go into PT?! But like you said I'm glad you are able to supplement your practices with some of these techniques! I am just very interested in the benefits that supplementing the traditional techniques/methods with CAMs could possibly play in patient success. Thank you very much for your response :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile