prolo therapy or other injection therapies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheNewGuy8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do PT's ever do these treatments?

I've seen interesting studies and in person shadowing of dextrose injections and packed blood injections. But it was always an MD/DO doing them. Can PTs get training in this?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen interesting studies and in person shadowing of dextrose injections and packed blood injections. But it was always an MD/DO doing them. Can PTs get training in this?

Not in any practice act in the US do I know of PTs being allowed to perform injections of any kind. It's simply not in our scope of practice. The most invasive procedure allowed to be performed by PTs would be sharps debridement for wound care/management, and that is not allowed in every state. And dry needling in some states.

PTs don't provide this treatment. PTs do treat patients after the prolo injection.

Members don't see this ad :)
how about trigger point injections?

What would you inject into them?

Essentially, if it involves anything with medication, a PT in the US can't do it. The lone exceptions would likely be iontophoresis or phonophoresis, which use direct electric current and ultrasound respectively, to facilitate transfer of a medication transdermally.

Gotcha. No injhections it sounds like. Interesting - I would think PTs would be super qualified to do something like prolo, sicne their level of anatomical knowledge is so high. silly practice rights...