Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Alternative to SMP

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by Deleted member 237747, Dec 27, 2008.

1. ...................

#1 Deleted member 237747, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    An SMP is a last-ditch, no-options-remain effort. In your shoes, yes, you should be looking at doing more undergrad study, at least to get your cumulative overall and science GPAs up over 3.0.

But do the math here: you literally CAN'T get up to a 3.5 from a 2.7, if you're interested in MD schools. Even four more years at a 4.0 will only get you to a 3.4 or so. Only DO schools "forgive" repeated coursework, and they still get to see your transcripts.

Best of luck to you.

4. halekulani

halekulani Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    2.7 -> 3.5+ is not worth the time

get your 2.7 -> 3.0+, apply to an SMP, then kick butt. i don't really see an alternative route.

5. ......................

#4 Deleted member 237747, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  6. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    We're both telling you that you must do a postbac. And that a year or two of postbac isn't enough.

Do the math. See how much more undergrad coursework you need to get your GPA into competitive range. You are looking at 4 more undergrad years at a 4.0 to get into competitive range for med school.

Alternatively, do enough additional postbac undergrad work to get over 3.0, and then look at an SMP. With a 2.7, you are not in a position to be talking about guarantees. You don't have a right to a medical education.

Best of luck to you.

7. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is from a medical student. Consult a premedical advisor for a second opinion if you can.

No it's not a traditional masters degree, it's not good for anything but getting you into medical school. Why you should consider doing one anyway:

1) Success rates: There are no guarentees (especially once you have screwed up your grades as badly you you/I did), but good SMP programs boast success rates of 60-80%. A few (EVMS, Georgetown, Tulane ACP) have success rates above 85%. The logic is that since you've proven that you can handle medical school course work, when judged against other medical school students, it would be sort of silly to hold your undergraduate GPA against you. Post-bacs don't have that kind of success rates. A 3.4, though a huge improvement from where you're at, is still below average for an allo med school matriculant these days.

2) Opportunity cost: You're comparing 1 year at an SMP to probably 2-3 years at a community college. Besides the fact that the cost of 3 years education might be high, even at a local college, lost years are lost income as a physician. Taking the long view you're losing hundres of thousands here.

3) Time: I wasn't willing to be a premed until I was 30 (no disrespect DrMidlife). I sorta liked the aspect that, at the end of my SMP year, I would either be in or able to put the medical school ambition behind me and focus on my new career.

Anyway, with a 2.7 and no MCAT your options

1) At least 3 years in a post bac, taking new science classes with straight As and a great MCAT to get into US allo

2) High MCAT this April, get in to an SMP and do well, followed by US allo.

3) 2 years postbac, retaking classes, with grade replacement, high MCAT, go US DO

4) Get a decent but not high MCAT, add an additional post-bac year to options 1-3

5) Decent MCAT, apply to a DO SMP for this fall, do well, go DO.

6) Get a decent MCAT in April and go to an Island school (Caribbean) as early as this fall. Be aware that a lot of students that go fail out, and lots of students that pass don't get a residency (which is just as bad as failing out). This is the fastest path, but if you screw up it is by far the hardest fall. You'll be burried under debt forever.

You need to figure out which best aligns with your tolerance for cost, risk, and misery. Good luck, you can do it, many have before.

#6 Perrotfish, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  8. halekulani

halekulani Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    your uGPA will never be competitive for medical school. the point of raising your uGPA is to get into an SMP. if you do well in an SMP, medical schools will realize that you can excel at the medical school level.

oh, and retaking courses at a community college are worthless. only go to a regular 4 year university/college to do post-bacc.

#7 halekulani, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008