Alternative to SMP

• Thread starter Deleted member 237747
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 237747

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
An SMP is a last-ditch, no-options-remain effort. In your shoes, yes, you should be looking at doing more undergrad study, at least to get your cumulative overall and science GPAs up over 3.0.

But do the math here: you literally CAN'T get up to a 3.5 from a 2.7, if you're interested in MD schools. Even four more years at a 4.0 will only get you to a 3.4 or so. Only DO schools "forgive" repeated coursework, and they still get to see your transcripts.

Best of luck to you.

2.7 -> 3.5+ is not worth the time

get your 2.7 -> 3.0+, apply to an SMP, then kick butt. i don't really see an alternative route.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited by a moderator:
But SMP does not guarantee anything. I do not think it is even a traditional master degree -they really teach first year MD classes? So why waste $45000 or so a year on this, why not do private Post Bacc at local college?

We're both telling you that you must do a postbac. And that a year or two of postbac isn't enough.

Do the math. See how much more undergrad coursework you need to get your GPA into competitive range. You are looking at 4 more undergrad years at a 4.0 to get into competitive range for med school.

Alternatively, do enough additional postbac undergrad work to get over 3.0, and then look at an SMP. With a 2.7, you are not in a position to be talking about guarantees. You don't have a right to a medical education.

Best of luck to you.

But SMP does not guarantee anything. I do not think it is even a traditional master degree -they really teach first year MD classes? So why waste $45000 or so a year on this, why not do private Post Bacc at local college?

your uGPA will never be competitive for medical school. the point of raising your uGPA is to get into an SMP. if you do well in an SMP, medical schools will realize that you can excel at the medical school level.

oh, and retaking courses at a community college are worthless. only go to a regular 4 year university/college to do post-bacc.

Last edited: