This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mr.kess

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone reading, I am a low stat applicant looking to do an SMP after the DIY postbacc I've done. I was accepted to Touro Middletown's SMP. I haven't heard back from PCOM's master yet, but given the other programs I've gotten into I believe I probably will. If accepted I'd be between these two programs.

PCOM is incredibly well known especially in the philly area where I'm from, has good matches every year, and I wouldn't have to move. The cons are it does not have guaranteed admission to med school and could potentially be 2 years (with the BBB I want to do a 1 year program). I would be guaranteed an interview off the bat with my mcat (504) if I get > 3.0 program gpa, and "guaranteed admission" after the second year. That guaranteed admission though depends on my interview.

Touro is a little distance away, and is less established in the DO world. They give guaranteed admission with no application though with >3.4 program gpa. I could also do aacomas applications while in the program incase things don't go my way. Trying to get a 3.4 in that program would be a hell that I'm willing to do because this is pretty much my last shot. From what I've seen also if you put in the work you will get a spot, and I'm 100% willing to grind for a year if it means a spot in med school.

I would like to get the opinion of others though. It would be especially great to hear from people in/alumni of either program. Which do you think I should choose? I've seen others post similar questions, but I still feel unsure.
 
Hi, currently a student at PCOM doing the accelerated MBS and I cannot recommend it enough. I know someone who did Touros SMP, and they did not end up matriculating into the DO program and knowing their structure of courses, I feel like PCOMs courses are structured better. The campus is great, and faculty overall is really supportive. Plus being on campus you get to interact alot with the M1s and M2s and they're all super helpful. PCOM breaks their semesters up into two blocks, so you take two classes per block, and I think its really manageable + it actually helps you learn how to study as a future medical student. As far as the linkage goes, PCOM really prioritizes students in their biomed program, and while theres technically no "guaranteed acceptance" if you have a high GPA in the program (which is extremely doable, you just have to be disciplined and stay on top of studying), plus your MCAT score which is already above the requirement, I don't doubt that you wont at the very least get an interview invite. Knock your interview out of the park and I think its highly likely that you get in. Plus an added bonus IMO is, if you don't get in your first cycle applying as a biomed, your consideration as a student in their program is good for two more application cycles. I hope this was helpful!
 
Hi, currently a student at PCOM doing the accelerated MBS and I cannot recommend it enough. I know someone who did Touros SMP, and they did not end up matriculating into the DO program and knowing their structure of courses, I feel like PCOMs courses are structured better. The campus is great, and faculty overall is really supportive. Plus being on campus you get to interact alot with the M1s and M2s and they're all super helpful. PCOM breaks their semesters up into two blocks, so you take two classes per block, and I think its really manageable + it actually helps you learn how to study as a future medical student. As far as the linkage goes, PCOM really prioritizes students in their biomed program, and while theres technically no "guaranteed acceptance" if you have a high GPA in the program (which is extremely doable, you just have to be disciplined and stay on top of studying), plus your MCAT score which is already above the requirement, I don't doubt that you wont at the very least get an interview invite. Knock your interview out of the park and I think its highly likely that you get in. Plus an added bonus IMO is, if you don't get in your first cycle applying as a biomed, your consideration as a student in their program is good for two more application cycles. I hope this was helpful!
Yes very helpful thanks!